Cost of Euthanasia Query

Clannad48

Visit site
Ok so just wanted to query something. First off let me say that I am no way complaining about the vet, who was superb when dealing with the planned euthanasia of my pony. I just wanted to see what other people paid for the service. Just a little background - much loved older pony with problems that could not be cured - we made the difficult decision of having her euthanised after consultation with vet. So not a problem with the vet - I just wanted to see if the cost was the norm.

Without giving actual prices

Visit charge (including cost of travel) - normal so not a problem
Sedation D&T - not a problem
Euthanasia - I'm not going to query it with the vet but was surprised that this was charged for considering I had paid for the visit and the 'medication' needed.

The removal of the horse was paid to a separate company.

As previously said the vet was superb, the care and compassion shown were exemplary - I am just a little confused as to the bill (which I have already paid)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think mine was a couple or three hundred hundred quid, and then the same or a bot less to another company for removal. Having said that, I was so upset I did not pay that much attention.

I don't begrudge the extra fee for euthanasia. I think it is as upsetting for the vet as it was for me.

Reactions: TPO

Clannad48

Visit site
Yep - same sort of figure -just surprised that it was set out the way it was - the vet was wonderful, as was the disposal company - the pony was my daughter's pride and joy for 18 years and she was given time to say goodbye before the pony was taken away.

Clannad48

Visit site
Having re-read my original post - I realise that it may come across as querying the cost of euthanasia which was not my intention - more as to the way the bill it set out - after all the 'medication' for the euthanasia is what it is - I don't see it as being necessary to set the euthanasia out as a separate charge

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
But all vet bills are usually set out like that? cost of drug, cost of administration of the drug.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Sorry for your loss, I especially hate getting the bill afterwards because of the terminology that has to be used on it. The overall figure sounds about right.

They have to itemise the procedure of euthanasia just as they might a lameness exam on another occasion, which could be 'examine lame horse'. Both are charged in addition to the callout and any drugs used.

cbmcts

Visit site
A couple of years ago - £100 cash to the knackerman for an emergency shooting. They could get there quicker than the vet after a catastrophic field injury. TBF, I'd have paid whatever needed to be paid, to whoever to put the horse out of his misery.

A few months ago - £658 for a planned euthanasia including £300 for removal. Original plan was for vet to attend for heavy sedation and then a bullet but the gun holder was called away to a police emergency so it happened that the vet pts and the also organised collection which was the bit that I thought was rather expensive! I too was billed for call out, drugs, equipment and a seperate euthanasia fee but the total figure was around what I expected for that bit.

Clannad48

Visit site
I suppose it was just the shock of seeing it in black and white - having spent time this morning cleaning out her stable (in this heat :( :( coming home to the bill and seeing the word just seemed to be the last straw. Again I cannot fault the vet or the disposal guy, both were efficient, compassionate and caring. (if anyone wants a recommendation just ask. The money was not the point - as cbmcts said I too would have paid anything to save the suffering. I just wish I hadn't seen the word itself. Now off for a quiet sob in the corner with a stiff drink.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh, I am sorry. I know with Jay I paid over the phone on the day so I would not have the shock of the bill.

Sadly they still sent an account update at the end of the month, so I too got the shock of seeing it in black and white.

Virtual hugs, and know it was the last kind service you could have done.

Flyermc

Visit site
its possibly because of insurance claims. My pony was PTS in October last year, everything was cover from my insurance apart from the actual 'euthanasia' so it was handy that it was all broken down for me.

costs

£25 call out
£75 PTS
£160 to be taken away

Bertolie

Visit site
its possibly because of insurance claims. My pony was PTS in October last year, everything was cover from my insurance apart from the actual 'euthanasia' so it was handy that it was all broken down for me.

costs

£25 call out
£75 PTS
£160 to be taken away

This. Most insurance companies do not cover the actual euthanasia so i assume the bill is itemised to make it easier to distinguish what can be claimed for.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Sorry for your loss.

It can be upsetting to see it in black and white I agree, but vets are obligated to set it out in a certain way so that you see exactly how the bill breaks down. It was something the RCVS implemented a few years ago so that all vets fees were transparent.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. I didn't open my euthanasia bill. I emailed the practice and asked them to tell me what I owed them and when it was due. They were very sensitive about it.

Evie91

Visit site
Another who didn’t open the bill, just called and paid over the phone. If I remember rightly was about£300, then £500 maybe for collection and ashes which I’ve since scattered.

sywell

Visit site
As a breeder when you have spent 4 or five hours in the nigh delivering a foal you have every emotional response to sign it out of the human food chain. Some people believe it is their horse for life but will you still have the horse in 25 years time when it comes to the end of its life or even will you still be alive. In large yards with 150 horses the vets like to have them all signed out as they can they treat and problems without and passport checks. There is clear evidence there are large numbers of TBs being pushed around horse sales and when the auctioneer says it is signed out there are no bids. It will be much better for the horses to be sent for slaughter