Cost of euthanasia. (Sorry!)

Lintel

Visit site
Sorry for the rather morbid start, but in preparing for potentially the worst case I’m looking to also “prepare” myself for the bill that may follow should we have to go down that route.
If others wouldn’t mind sharing it would be very much appreciated if you could give an idea of the cost of euthanasia/method and when/year it took place.
Thank you in advance, and apologies if this brings up any unwelcome feelings with others.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had one pts by injection early spring this year. With a full price visit and sedation the vet costs were about £300.

The local vet school collected him so I had no disposal costs.

Sorry you're having to consider this.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
2019. Can't really remember but probably in the region of 500 pounds including disposal and a couple of emergency call outs and antispasmodics and pain killers.

?

I'm sorry. It is the worst time.

nagblagger

Visit site
I'm in Dorset and the knackerman did mine so includes the disposing £275, last month
The vets would charge call out, then they normally have a set price for euthanasia, then you have to add on the cost of your chosen disposal method.

Sorry it's a sad time.

Auslander

Visit site
£3/400 for the vet bit, and £280 for the local guy to collect/cremate. He doesn't charge any extra to euthanase them if the bullet is the preferred option
Up to date info for my area (Berkshire), as I keep a note of things like this, so I can pass on the info to owners without having to make them wait

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
About £300 last year for sedation and injection by the vet, disposal was via the fallen stock person and was £54 billed directly but the vet organized it for me and the fallen stock person just called me after to let me know when they'd been.

L&M

Visit site
The last one we sadly had to leave at the hunt kennels cost £175 - would have been £250 if they had to come to us, euthanise and winch the body.

Thoughts with you.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I have had 4 done since August. The three done by the knackerman and the collection of the one done by the vet all cost £120. The vet bill was not a true reflection as I only got charged for drugs, not all of them either, and not any callouts. So I cannot say what the true vet charge would have been.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Cost me £250 just 2 years ago for pts with gun, removal and disposal. Some fairly expensive individual crenation options if you wanted the ashes back in a casket. Cost would be the same if you preferred your vet to inject but you'd have to add the vets fees.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
2021 £150 Knackerman. I got so much grief off other liveries for this but I could not afford the £800 the vets quote for the lethal injection and removal. At the end of the day how it was done did not affect the horse and having a cheaper option meant I could give my best friend the best for his last few days. I wish I could have let him go in my arms but having done a fair for horses for work I know that is a hugely romantized version of death and is not how it usually goes with horses.
((hugs)) on having to make the decision, but I respect anyone who does and I think a lot are shocked at the actual cost.

SEL

Visit site
January this year. £300 for the vet but he was a difficult pony and the first lot of sedation had to be given intra muscular over the stable door, 2nd lot was into a vein and then the final dose into the jugular.

Collection was about £250 - I didn't want ashes back.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's always a tough time without the thought of a chunky bill too ?

Maryann

Visit site
Last year, £150.00 including removal, knackerman. Lovely kind man, professional and quick, who came immediately once told that the old horse had gone down and couldn't get up. Even left his truck a way away in case the horse could smell it.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Sorry it's maybe coming to this.

Your vets will be able to give you a price - well in advance and if you don't need it - great
Same with the local knackerman (my personal preference) there will be someone in the local area who's experienced and that is their day job. Find out who they are (all larger yard owners should have their number in their phones for an emergancy) and speak to them / send them an email. (they will understand if you can't call)

The few we've had done my OH has to phone and book as I can't get the words out even on the phone to a stranger !

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The few we've had done my OH has to phone and book as I can't get the words out even on the phone to a stranger !
yeah i should have got OH to book the last one. I was totally at peace with the discussion and could talk normally about it to anyone....and was fine afterwards. just not on the phone to the vet to book the appointment. they were great though, i snivveled out the date i wanted and they phoned back later to sort the details. I'd forgotten that :(

SEL

Visit site
yeah i should have got OH to book the last one. I was totally at peace with the discussion and could talk normally about it to anyone....and was fine afterwards. just not on the phone to the vet to book the appointment. they were great though, i snivveled out the date i wanted and they phoned back later to sort the details. I'd forgotten that :(
I was bad even for the feral pony - vets dealt with me amazingly as well as the pony. I sent the office a thank you afterwards. I swear that call is the worst part.

I'm going to be absolutely shocking when it comes to my next one which will have to happen before winter.

Lintel

Visit site
Thanks everyone who has replied, it’s all very much appreciated. I think the gun wouldn’t be a option, he is a funny wee chap and I doubt he would stand well enough for the job to be done properly. He needs IM and IV sedation for the vet to do bloods, he is some chap!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
We had local knackerman, Devon, last week. £125 cremation so cost more (other option if horse not Buted is local zoo which is cheaper).

As others have said it is good to research options and costs. It's horrible having to do it but it is better to be in possession of all the facts before making a decision.

Piece of wisdom which I'll hand on is to make sure everything is paid for BEFORE the event: you don't want to be faffing around with a bank card where because you're feeling all emotional and flustered you can't remember the PIN no when the knackerman rocks up at your gate to do the job (happened to me). Cash better for knackerman, and if you are using your vets ask if they can give you a bill beforehand so you can pay it and then not have to worry about having to do it after, always horrible. Ditto pick-up service: pay beforehand if you can. Much better.

elliejhb

Visit site
So sorry you're having to ask these questions, have a chat with your vet, it's not an easy conversation to have, you could email to ask their prices (I did) then you can read when you are ready.
My prices from October 2021 are:
Visit £22.40
Euthanasia £166.69
Drugs £27.59
Collection & individual cremation £690
Total: £906.68

Many of us on here have gone through losing a horse, and I'm sure our thoughts will be with you x

honetpot

Visit site
Last time I had to have it done I rang this company, they got the best price for me.
https://www.equine-endoflife.co.uk/how-it-works/
The pony was shot at home and it was all in £120, I paid by card when I booked it.
If you have a vet who can arrange collection it can work out OK. The last ones I had injected by the vet it was an emergency so unfortunately you have to wait for collection.
It's not nice, you can only plan it well, so its the least stress.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Thanks everyone who has replied, it’s all very much appreciated. I think the gun wouldn’t be a option, he is a funny wee chap and I doubt he would stand well enough for the job to be done properly. He needs IM and IV sedation for the vet to do bloods, he is some chap!

Is he good to syringe? If he’s a bit needle shy etc then it could be worth getting a tube of domosedan to make him a bit snoozy beforehand, so its less stressful all round for you (not nice if your last memories of him are him panicking about being injected)

BronsonNutter

Visit site

Is he good to syringe? If he’s a bit needle shy etc then it could be worth getting a tube of domosedan to make him a bit snoozy beforehand, so its less stressful all round for you (not nice if your last memories of him are him panicking about being injected)