Cost of making haylage?

Annagain

Visit site
Just doing some research on behalf of a friend who's bought a yard with a bit more land than she needs. She isn't sure whether to keep some land to make hay or take on some extra liveries so I said I ask on here for her.

Roughly how much does it cost per large round bale (or per acre if that's easier to calculate) if you use a contractor to make it for you rather than making it yourself? She has about 4-5 acres she thinks she won't need for her own 4 horses. Good gently sloping land in 3 smallish paddocks at the moment. She's trying to work out whether the extra income from liveries would be more than the saving she would make making her own hay. She has just stables and land, no arena but is hoping to out one in subject to planning. I think she's erring on the side of liveries at the moment, partly as she'd like some company and partly as she's never made haylage before so is a bit apprehensive about it. I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but roughly how many bales is she likely to get off 4 acres - say in an average year? If she's going to have to buy more anyway maybe it's not worth it.

Brownmare

Visit site
TBH she will struggle to get a contractor willing to do only 4 or 5 acres even in one nice square block but especially if they have to fiddle around shoehorning big machinery around 3 tiny paddocks. Any contracting charges I could give you would be meaningless as any contractor looking at that job would double it and add a bit for luck! It will also never get cut when she wants it done as it will be fitted in between bigger jobs and if she gets ropy hay that got rained on twice she can't send it back lol, she will have to either feed it, burn it or give it away to a farmer willing to give it to his cattle.

Annagain

Visit site
If it was me (and I didn't need the company) I'd use it as winter grazing. As above it's not going to be worthwhile cutting it.
Thanks - this is in addition to winter grazing - There's 4ish acres that will be set aside for that and another 4 for the summer. She's bought 13 acres and has 4 horses. She didn't want that much but there's very little around our way so she had to snap up what she could and they wouldn't split it as can only access it at one point. Some of it will be used for an arena and hardstanding subject to planning. There are 5 stables but 2 of hers are retired so the plan is they'll live out, leaving 3 spare stables as well as the extra grazing.

TheMule

Visit site
I disagree with the above- I had 2 acres cut 2017 and 5 acres cut 2018 and it was well worth doing. Used local friendly farmer to cut and row up and then he organised the baler/ wrapper guy who was very easy to tag it on to other jobs in the local area. I can't remember the precise figures but it cost me about £18/ large round bale of haylage to produce and stack. Hay wouldn't have wrapping cost so a little less. I got 5 bales per acre from land that is grazed all winter

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah I couldn't answer re the costs but I know a few people locally round me that do lots of small patches like this, it's fine if they are all close by one another. This neck of the woods is full of small paddocks! Does she have any neighbours that might be in a similar position so they could group together and make it worth someone's while?

Annagain

Visit site
So about £20 saving on buying in and maybe 25 bales? She usually gets through about 20 big bales per winter so that sounds like it could be ok and would result in an overall saving of £500. All useful food for thought. Storage is the other consideration I suppose. Thanks.

Annagain

Visit site
yeah I couldn't answer re the costs but I know a few people locally round me that do lots of small patches like this, it's fine if they are all close by one another. This neck of the woods is full of small paddocks! Does she have any neighbours that might be in a similar position so they could group together and make it worth someone's while?
Not sure, sale hasn't gone through and it's about 5 miles from home so she doesn't know who the other landowners are yet. I think there's a fairly big farm next door they might cut their own hay.

TheMule

Visit site
So about £20 saving on buying in and maybe 25 bales? She usually gets through about 20 big bales per winter so that sounds like it could be ok and would result in an overall saving of £500. All useful food for thought. Storage is the other consideration I suppose. Thanks.

Forgot to say, I did fertilise the land too, but won't every year, it just needed a little boost after not having anything for years

oldie48

Visit site
I have made haylage for several years now. I have a 7 acre field that I use as winter grazing, horses come off about now and it is rolled and harrowed. I spray for weeds about every 3 years and fertilise less frequently. I make late cut haylage usually in July, quite often late July or even August, it does really depend on the weather. I use a local farmer who does the harrowing, rolling and stacking, he brings in a contractor whom I pay per bale. the number of bales vary from year to year and I have small rectangular ones as I can't get through the big round bales quickly enough. I have sold extras off from the field for £30 and they cost me about £15 to make but the cost keeps going up. I'd rather make haylage than have liveries, far less hassle.

Carrottom

Visit site
We used to make our own hay/haylage but have decided it really isn't worth the agro. As someone above posted, it is often difficult to get it done when you want, especially in a wet summer, you are constantly checking the forecast. Then there is the storage to consider unless you have a big barn.
I keep the driest acres for strip grazing in winter and don't usually need to feed much hay before Christmas. Currently have 3 horses and approx 10 acres, I divide it up as necessary with electric fence.

teddypops

Visit site
My neighbour makes me big round bales of haylage. He charges me £7 per bale which includes stacking it for me.