Cost of training/holiday livery

madamebonnie

Visit site
Just a musing really as I might be going away with family next Christmas for two weeks. Horse has been a particular ****** the last two weeks with horrible weather, not enough riding or turn out and getting quite a bit of feed as he's a poor doer. Already had a couple of calls off livery yard (he's on part livery) that he's being a prat to lead so is staying in for the day. Fine by me, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with him when he's being skittish.

SO my thoughts led to, ah, what if I could send him somewhere so he could have a constructive week without me. I like dressage but only working low level so am happy to send him to any type of training yard. If they could teach him to hack alone or give him a few more brave pants that would be amazing.

Where do you start looking for these sort of people? (Any recommendations Cheshire-ish or surrounding). And how much would you be expecting to pay (obviously probably a spike over Christmas)? I suppose I am also open to keeping him on full livery and have a visiting rider.

ihatework

Visit site
Full livery with a visiting rider would likely cost more than sending on training livery.

Ultimately you will find a huge variation in costs quoted - linked to both general area and rider ability.

I don’t know Cheshire costs, but in my neck of the woods I’d be hugely suspicious of anything under £180 pw and in all honesty for a short term arrangement would expect it to be at least £40/day for anyone decent

MissTyc

Visit site
Try to get recommendations from local riders, instructors, etc. Will be plenty of options! I pay £160/week for training livery with a former top event rider (now trainer), which is a total bargain. Anything from £160-£200 would be normal around here for a "normal" horse (i.e. not psychotic; can be ridden by the yard staff as well as top trainer). They do anything I ask. Have sent horses for backing, for schooling, and indeed one naughty little horse just for hacking on the roads. She was ridden twice a day up and down the lanes until she got on with life, and returned to me 3 weeks later as a reformed character.

Jack110

Visit site
Mine always go away if we leave the country, I am very lucky brilliant local rider charges £20 per day each horse that includes riding and all food.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I think I paid around £200 pw for my horse to go to my DR trainer, an Advanced rider, for schooling livery.
That was for full livery Inc bedding, feed and haylage,..he was schooled by the rider 5x week and hacked out once plus a day off. I sent him there every time I went away; he always came back much improved.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
a few years ago I paid £160 for schooling livery which I think is a reasonable price with a lovely show rider who sent me videos and some great pictures of her riding, would definitely do it again well worth the money the horse came back chilled and easier to ride.

madamebonnie

Visit site
I mean you never know he could be a reformed character by next year....heres hoping!
Prices sound reasonable. It would cost me £170 in extra livery costs for two weeks over xmas and new year at my yard so perhaps an extra £200 would be well worth it. Just didn't want to start asking around and immediately be priced out.