Cost of X-rays

Pasha

Visit site
Can anyone tell me how much x-rays cost?

Is it one price or do you pay per x-ray? or does it depend where on the body? It will be his near fore knee.

He won't have to be sedated (he's a good boy for the vet) and I know how much the nerve blocks will cost

It's been 10+ years since i've had to have them done and now I have to pay for them (as insurance doesn't cover it) so just wanted to know what kind of vets bill I can expect
frown.gif

Bozzy

Visit site
I think it might be per picture?? I had my neds back xrayed and the bill was about £250 and that was for the vet to come to me including sedation.

We sedate all horses having xrays at the vets so not sure if they'll sedate anyway no matter how well behaved the horse due to the expense of equipment etc?

Fruddy

Visit site
You pay per X-Ray.

Not sure how much they are individually, but when I had my lad nerve blocked and x-rayed this time last year, in relation to bi-lateral forelimb lameness, my bill came in at just under £1,000.00.

You could always ring the vets and ask them the price?

pennyh

Visit site
from memory i think my vets charge about £200 for a set on diagnostic work , which they say covers upto 8 plates but they just do whatever , i think individual plates about £40 , i do know from earlier this year that a vetting set was £300 which did feet & main leg joints all round

ironically the last time i personally had xray at bupa i paid less than £100 for about 11 xrays ( bit of an odd break that i knew i must have but the nhs had told me on 3 occassions that i didn't!)

horses are normally sedated for the xrays , so about £40 on top for that & the vets will probably also charge some diagnostic time , so even if its a quite easy to find problem you can easily spend £500 , more ytricky to pinpoint don't be surprised at £1000

my tip would be to tell the vet that the work is not on insurance & try to see the best price they will do you , some are quite good if you are an established customer

K27

Visit site
Its normally per x-ray- although one of mine had his fetlock xrayed( about 7 or so were taken) and also was scanned last year and it came to about 380.00 for those 2 things.

Pasha

Visit site
Thanks for all of your replies.... I'm actually relieved as they are not as expensive as I thought they would be.

My vet thinks he has arthritis in the knee and because we don't have insurance to cover it (he is 20) he went ahead with the HA injections which all in has cost me over 1K so far.

They have had no effect whatsoever, so now we're thinking it maybe something different so want to do x-rays to find out for sure before another 1K goes down the drain!

I've had the same vet for years and he is great but has no head for the money side of things and leaves all that to the office to sort out. I keep ringing but they are busy at the moment and I knew you guys on here would come up trumps! So thanks very much!

Solveig

www.shine.net
I recently had my mare xrayed on her pastern joint and it was £100 for three plates plus sedation at around £30. Hope this helps and i hope your horse is ok soon.

Pasha

Visit site
Thanks guys - he didn't need to be sedated (he is such a good boy and the vet knows him inside out so trusts him). It is £240 with my vets for full diagnostic (8 plates)..... he did 4 plates on the knee (one from each angle), then 1 plate with his knee bent up and rested on his grooming kit box.

He couldn't find anything - all looks clean, so proceeeded to x-ray his elbow which also showed no abnormalities and then his shoulder (which didn't work so well).

He said he will only charge me for the knee as he was just checking on his theory with the other ones.

He's still convinced it's the knee so will block out the joint next Friday - the whole rest of his leg and foot has been nerve blocked out so we're running out of likely causes really