Cost spreadsheet

sherry90

Visit site
I know this topic has been done to death and from my past posts you will see I'm a bit of a thread-killer :( I must give off freak vibes!
Anyhow if your still alive now and I'm not now talking to myself I wanted you to critique my fictional budget.

Don't currently own my own horse but I am a logical person who likes to plan. Looking to get my own in about a year after graduation so I have prepared by calling local liveries for prices etc. obviously certain things will vary depending on the type of ned I buy so these are estimates.

I am in the Staffordshire area just for comparison would be looking at 16hh+ (I'm lanky!) ID/TB/ISH type x or similar.

Livery I would want DIY assisted most around here are £108 per month
Hay large round bale £30?
Hard feed (if needed?) £20+ depending on need and brand
Insurance + savings £70
Farrier £40 (£70 every 6 weeks)
Bedding most likely wood pellets at 5.25 a bale one a week = £25
Worming and vacs £20
Saddle check £5 checked yearly if no problems before
Teeth £5 checked yearly if no problems before.

I wouldn't be competing or travelling. I have budgeted over £5000 for the pre-purchase including the ned, vetting and everything that I'll need for me, the horse and yard right down to a first aid kit and hi viz!

I realise the price hay may be a bit low but I valued this on a large round bale, would you say this would last a month? For lets say for the sake, a 16.3hh medium weight IDx in medium work who is an average doer?
The farm of 6 horses where my loan pony was kept just seemed to share a large bale and we never ran out. think stealth farmer who would replace when the bale got low so I've never been able to gauge the usage! I just used to weigh out my mares net daily and wouldn't know how much a bale weighed! I also only paid £20 per week rather than towards anything specific so costs aren't a strong point plus it was 10 years ago! :eek:

Also, some things won't be needed during summer months when turned out such as hard feed, hay, bedding etc unless grass is very poor or an injury. does a livery yard take this into account and lower the monthly charge to grass livery or not? Might be a numpty question but genuinely wanted to know how it worked.

So averaged out I have got a figure of around £300 there a abouts? What do you think? People I know around here have said its far too much a budget and I can look at spending around £200!!! I can't work that out myself, so I've briefed the OH up, he's aware of the costs. Well for now at least ;)

Sorry for the long post, maybe that's why I'm a thread killer ;)
Salted Doritos dipped in tomato salsa for those who are still breathing!

Renvers

Visit site
I think you have covered the basics. I wouls look to a contigency amount as there will always be something you want to buy, first aid items to replace. I would also suggest you budget for lessons too, as they woudl be invaluable with a new horse.

ellie11987

Visit site
Livery I would want DIY assisted most around here are £108 per month
Hay large round bale £30?
Hard feed (if needed?) £20+ depending on need and brand
Insurance + savings £70
Farrier £40 (£70 every 6 weeks)
Bedding most likely wood pellets at 5.25 a bale one a week = £25
Worming and vacs £20
Saddle check £5 checked yearly if no problems before
Teeth £5 checked yearly if no problems before.

Also, some things won't be needed during summer months when turned out such as hard feed, hay, bedding etc unless grass is very poor or an injury. does a livery yard take this into account and lower the monthly charge to grass livery or not? Might be a numpty question but genuinely wanted to know how it worked.

So averaged out I have got a figure of around £300 there a abouts? What do you think? People I know around here have said its far too much a budget and I can look at spending around £200!!! I can't work that out myself, so I've briefed the OH up, he's aware of the costs. Well for now at least ;)

Most horses will be fine without back shoes if your not competing and doing lots of road work so you can save £20 there. Insurance sounds a bit steep when not competing, largest I've been quoted is £45 for a horse worth £2000, though not sure of your budget of course. Hard feed, don't get a thoroughbred like me and your bang on :rolleyes: Worming and vaccs don't cost me £20 a month. Wormer is £10-20 a pop but only done when every other month or so and when required if you do a worm count. Vaccs are done annually, cost me £50 a year for a booster. Teeth and saddle check only costs £25 call out usually and flocking ect can be done for a small charge with the woman I use. You could do it a bit cheaper, but that would be your max without competing, lessons and vets bills and replacing bits and bobs. But agree, lessons are great for new horses :)

About the grass livery bit: My bill is not reduced, stable rent stays the same when out 24/7 but do not buy bedding and haylage weekly like I would in winter.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
I have lost count the number of times I have worked out costings when owning a horse, and TBH, it will never keep to budget! You'll always spot a nice rug he HAS to have, or he'll pull off a shoe or cut his leg when you are having a tight month.
Saying that though, its good to see some people actually look at the costs. I can't believe you showed the OH!! Worse thing I done!! Now he knows how much its going to cost me when I get a horse, I never hear the end of it!! Oh well... no one said this passion was cheap!!

Good Luck and well done!!

sherry90

Visit site
My insurance budget included £25 savings, sorry i should have mentioned that. so £35 for the policy and £25 put aside for excess or any none covered costs.
We do also have separate savings accounts both of which look healthy right now ;) which we would use in an emergency (OH blissfully unaware of this yet!)

I would most likely have a monthly lesson depending on the yard I was at (most I've enquired about have a school which is great).

I did consider only part shoeing but this again would depend on the condition of the hooves of the horse I suppose.

What did you think of the hay price? I know it's a how long is a piece of strong especially considering prices changes due to weather and region variations etc.

Thank you for your break down I think it really helps to compare! I'd rather over estimate than under as I don't want to fool myself or my non-horsey OH into thinking its cheap!

sherry90

Visit site
Lippyx

I am the same, he keeps mentioning that it will cost as much as our mortgage!
I respond that actually the mortgage is quite cheap right now so soon the horse will be cheap in comparison when the rates go up! (got a majorly great interest rate when we bought last year 3.4%! :eek: )

I am a sucker for a spreadsheet also, it's how we run our finances and my partner is a major saver and has to write all finances down. He's only early 20's but until recently kept money under the bed and didn't have a debit card haha! Any I'm off topic!

I just want to make sure I don't come across as a numpty when I go and buy or be completely shocked at prices.

ellie11987

Visit site
My insurance budget included £25 savings, sorry i should have mentioned that. so £35 for the policy and £25 put aside for excess or any none covered costs.
We do also have separate savings accounts both of which look healthy right now ;) which we would use in an emergency (OH blissfully unaware of this yet!)

I would most likely have a monthly lesson depending on the yard I was at (most I've enquired about have a school which is great).

I did consider only part shoeing but this again would depend on the condition of the hooves of the horse I suppose.

What did you think of the hay price? I know it's a how long is a piece of strong especially considering prices changes due to weather and region variations etc.

Thank you for your break down I think it really helps to compare! I'd rather over estimate than under as I don't want to fool myself or my non-horsey OH into thinking its cheap!

Well the insurace and savings makes sense, very sensible :) My haylage is ad lib so £40 a month on average but changes every week. Sounds about right really. When your looking at the horse, check hoof condition. You can improve hooves yourself but will save lots of time and money if they are in good condition already (lost shoes, full set ect). Good on you for showing OH, when I got my first horse I was very vauge with my parents :p

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I doubt 1 x large round will last a month in winter, but then you won't use a whole round a month in summer, so will probably average over the year.

sherry90

Visit site
Piebaldsparkle - I suppose this will depend on how the yard supplies it or if I bought it myself. Some yards I've looked at the livery is slightly more but offers more ie one Haynet a day and 1 bag of shavings or 2 straw a week. It all will boil down to which yard I pick.

I keep looking in the hope that I can badger OH enough into buying now instead of waiting! I'm thinking with my heart instead of head, currently in my last year of a law degree so a horse right now sadly is not sensible :(

Thanks so much for all the replies, this is my first successful thread ;)

I will keep lurking with the odd post and will probably be back come September for some help with the search! I'm definitely going to take my lovely instructor with me when viewing and will definitely pay for a 5* vetting with my own chosen local vet.

Question: would a local vet to Staffordshire be willing to travel to vet a horse say an hour away for example?

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I think you're buget is pretty good, as the other poster said wormers won't cost you £20/month but there will always be something extra - new numnah, new over reach boot (I seem to buy a pair every week at the minute! ;) ) but it seems you're being realistic.

Re summer livery. It's not usual for it to be cheaper in the summer, and more expensive in the winter but stays the same year round. You will find your costs do reduce in the summer as you feed less hay / hard feed and use less bedding if your horse lives out.

Ooh it's very exciting looking for your first horse! Do you know when you'll be seriously looking? Good luck :)

maresmaid

Visit site
If it helps my horse is similar to the one uou describe. She is unshod (fab feet) she has her own bank account and savings account and a monthly allowance of £400. She pays for livery feed hay bedding etc she buys her own tack and rugs and pays her own insurance but doesnt pay for lessons or competition fees, nor does she pay for my riding gear. She has a savings account which always has a minimum balance equal to the insurance excess for emergencies and she is currently saving up for a new saddle :)

Ali27

Visit site
I am in Staffs and pay £35 for round bale of hay which lasts our 14.2 (out during day) and 15hh (on box rest - fed adlib) 10 days. You would probably use a bale and a half to two bales a month especially if grass isn't very good. Most DIY in Staffs is £25 a week. Will you get your horse turned out/ brought in as that can add an extra £10 - £15 a week to your costs?

sherry90

Visit site
Blairandazria - thank you for the reply! I like to overestimate then i can hopefully build a savings pot for a little spree like you say i know ill always need a new numnah or head collar!
I'm a bit of a fashion follower at the moment with no ned to spend on so that will have to be stopped!

I will be graduating in early September (I'm on a 2 year course so graduate later than normal degree students) so anytime after that hopefully.

OH is being reasonable, he says when I'm working full-time we can definitely afford. We could now but we would be relying on his commission which can vary rather than our guaranteed combined wage. I can't wait :)
Thank you for the luck :) I'm sure I will need it, it seems a minefield out there especially in the winter months now (I window shop...no harm ;) ) there are so many for sale which is why perhaps this time next year will be a good thing more of a buyers market but more risky i would imagine!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
If it helps my horse is similar to the one uou describe. She is unshod (fab feet) she has her own bank account and savings account and a monthly allowance of £400. She pays for livery feed hay bedding etc she buys her own tack and rugs and pays her own insurance but doesnt pay for lessons or competition fees, nor does she pay for my riding gear. She has a savings account which always has a minimum balance equal to the insurance excess for emergencies and she is currently saving up for a new saddle :)

This is a fab idea!! Opening up a savings account, and putting your monthly budget in there each month, that way you should always have enough, with a little bit extra for when you see that rug!!

sherry90

Visit site
Mares maid - thank you for the reply! Your mare must have a great banker ;) she's very financially stable! I may up my budget to £400 just to be comfortable it seems a good idea. I will definitely do the separate debit account, great idea!

Ali27- I wasn't sure on hay costs so thank you for that. I will factor that in then, I was unsure one would be enough to be honest.
Some of the livery yards I looked at had turn out or in included so I have factored that in to my spreadsheet depending on which yard I'd go for. The ones that don't offer services I would either factor in to my daily run ie up earlier to Turn out and turn in on way home from work. This all rests on where I work after graduation (may stay with current employer may not) so again if I have shift work I will have to use a livery with turn out services :)

My spreadsheet has a list of a few yards I know in the area and a list of what I would need to pay for or what is included in the livery price so I know before I choose the breakdown. I am sad I know :( I procrastinate a lot from uni work usually involving the spreadsheet or ogling at potential horses!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
You look like you have quite a comprehensive set of costs there.
I actually keep spreadsheets for all my accounts to keep check on things.
Nell is a relatively cheap to keep coblet and she costs me anything from £200pcm(on a good month) to £350pcm on a more expensive month, the average cost though so far appears to be about £250pcm

Ali27

Visit site
That's a shame as I'm between Burton upon Trent and Lichfield and could have given you info of yards, cheapest places for feed etc. Good luck though and hope you get your horse sooner rather than later!

Tilda

Visit site
£108 sounds quite low for 'assisted' DIY mine is £161 a month which includes turnout or bring in with rug change 5 days a week. Its not the cheapest but for basic DIY round here you pay minimum of £100 a month. I suppose it will depend on how much assistance you will need. Otherwise sounds a sensible budget :)

sherry90

Visit site
Moggyinmanolos - I love keeping a track I was murder before I got with my OH but like I say he's fab with money (sometimes too fab, he's a b****er for winning things and always seems to find money!) I have never been I debt but do have a shopping habit. It is being converted to equestrian clothing now, just bought some new Ariat Windermeres and I'm not looking at a Charles Owen pro 2 as my velvet one is surely unsafe as the peak doesn't give on contact? ;)

I would love a cob type but I think I'm stuck with being so lanky my legs are ridiculous. I think if I go for an IDx type I get the best of both, a bit more bone but with the height?

mandwhy

Visit site
I think you have things well covered there and should have some left over for other tack and things, I only spend average of 100-150 a month but my horse lives out and is a good doer on good grazing (used 3 small bales so far this winter costing 9 pounds total!). Livery costs a lot more than what I spend but obviously you get facilities and help when you need it... Suits a lot of people, wouldn't suit me :) however may give you some comfort to know you could do it cheaper if you had money problems in future.

sherry90

Visit site
Tilda- thank you for replying :)
£108 didn't include assisted sorry my post was a bit confusing, if I were to go to either of the assisted yards I would be looking at about £385 at a fantastic yard with 5* facilities and on hand help. I have looked at a variety to compare but I think I will most likely be comfortable on a budget of £400 really whichever I choose, based on posts here.
I think I am best paying that bit more for the support also as I will be studying part time post graduate whilst working too so the assisted would be needed I feel!

sherry90

Visit site
Mandwhy- a good doer would be fab your are lucky!
I think my wish list for a horse is going to be like rocking horse poop, I'm after the obligatory first time horse so adding good doer also will be few and far between i would imagine.
Like you say I do think I'll need support, although I'm not a complete novice I will need support and facilities would be fab especially an indoor ( im a bit of a sugar mouse!)

Tilda

Visit site
I am a great believer in you get what you pay for my current yard is the most expensive I have been on but I have been on it for more than twice as long as the others and I love it. Very sensible I think to err on the more expensive side for your budget something I struggle with and need my OH to bring an element of realism!

Frankie10

Visit site
Hi
I also have a little savings account for my boy. I put £50 every month into an account so that I have a little slush fund if I want to buy a new rug or treat that I can't afford out of my day to day account.
It may be worth doing this to cover unexpected costs as well- I.e. The excess on your insurance policy if you make a claim , rug repairs, or winter clipping etc.
Good luck! X

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Moggyinmanolos - I love keeping a track I was murder before I got with my OH but like I say he's fab with money (sometimes too fab, he's a b****er for winning things and always seems to find money!) I have never been I debt but do have a shopping habit. It is being converted to equestrian clothing now, just bought some new Ariat Windermeres and I'm not looking at a Charles Owen pro 2 as my velvet one is surely unsafe as the peak doesn't give on contact? ;)

I would love a cob type but I think I'm stuck with being so lanky my legs are ridiculous. I think if I go for an IDx type I get the best of both, a bit more bone but with the height?

Sounds familiar, my OH is so good with money, in fairness he does earn plenty so he can constantly treat himself and save. I have no savings at the moment but no real big debts either. I am finding ebay addictive lately! But I am selling a few bits for a change instead of buying!

Well I am not a short bum at 5'6 and Nell already takes up my leg and she is only scraping 14.2 and has a bit more growing in her I think

007-11_zpscb575510.jpg

Not that I am trying to convert you to getting a coblet or anything :D