Cotton Wool Horses!

Ruto

Visit site
Okay, this is an open discussion/debate on how you get equine owners who wrap their companion(s) in cotton wool because their human mind set.
'Oh! I must keep my horse/pony cooped up in a small confined space ALL day because its raining/too windy/snowing/muddy!' -This is an example. Others are stuff like unnecessary rugging, giving them too big a feed (I know a couple people who've gave their horses severe laminitis doing this) etc... You also get the people who like horses but don't have one or have never owned one who think it's terrible to keep your horse in a field 24/7- wtf!? It's stuff like this that REALLY grinds my gears. Horses are NOT made of glass, they won't die over being put out to graze in the rain. They won't have a nervous break down if you don't go up and see them EVERY day and they won't care if they're not stabled at night. It's good to care about your pets but treating them the way you would treat a human can cause problems in most cases.

LouS

Visit site
I think my horse would be pretty p***ed if I didn't go up and see him every day to feed him! If the horses are fit and well each to their own in regards to turnout. Its difficult to get involved although I have done once or twice with morbidly obese horses being put in lush fields etc. But even then there is not a lot you can do in regards to other people's horses.

HashRouge

Visit site
Okay, this is an open discussion/debate on how you get equine owners who wrap their companion(s) in cotton wool because their human mind set.
'Oh! I must keep my horse/pony cooped up in a small confined space ALL day because its raining/too windy/snowing/muddy!' -This is an example. Others are stuff like unnecessary rugging, giving them too big a feed (I know a couple people who've gave their horses severe laminitis doing this) etc... You also get the people who like horses but don't have one or have never owned one who think it's terrible to keep your horse in a field 24/7- wtf!? It's stuff like this that REALLY grinds my gears. Horses are NOT made of glass, they won't die over being put out to graze in the rain. They won't have a nervous break down if you don't go up and see them EVERY day and they won't care if they're not stabled at night. It's good to care about your pets but treating them the way you would treat a human can cause problems in most cases.
Do you fancy coming and telling that to my YO? I wish you would! She's banned all the horses from the field (apart from hers, of course :rolleyes:) and insists ours don't need more than one hour in the school to see them right!

Capriole

Visit site
I agree with most of that, but not about the not seeing them every day bit. I couldnt leave them without seeing them every day, Id be gutted if one was injured and had needed immediate treatment or they were stolen and I hadnt known, as I hadnt been up.

Ive had actual HORSEY people bitching at me about my horses living out, I mean, how can I possibly RIDE them properly if they live out, right? :rolleyes:

Ruto

Visit site
Without good grass (even on the best of feeds) my ponies go skeletal. You should gather everyone on your yard and have a word with your YO, I know I would! Lol. :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The horse may not have a nervous breakdown if not seen every day, but surely if they are not kept at part or full livery you have a responsibility to check the horse for health issues and injuries each day.

Ruto

Visit site
I agree with most of that, but not about the not seeing them every day bit. I couldnt leave them without seeing them every day, Id be gutted if one was injured and had needed immediate treatment or they were stolen and I hadnt known, as I hadnt been up.

Ive had actual HORSEY people bitching at me about my horses living out, I mean, how can I possibly RIDE them properly if they live out, right? :rolleyes:

Wow, some people eh? I understand the going up everyday to check the horses well being, I don't have to cause the people I rent the field from go and check all the horses 3 times a day and its just at the back of my house! Horses live to be outdoors, they love it! Horses are easily depressed when stuck inside all the time. :)

CobSunshine

Visit site
My boy is out 24/7 no rug apart from his natural warm cozy coat he was born with. He couldnt be happier in his natural enviroment with his friends. He is bare foot good doer so can survive off fresh air. I would never dream off locking him in a stable then wasteing most of our time together mucking out. I have said on previous posts girls who keep theres in allways coment that i have to brush him b4 i ride him to get the muck off. They say this as they walk to the muck heap lol. I can understand why some horses need to be in tb's etc and box rest. Hay each to there own lol.

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
My TB will get depressed if she's out constantly, put her out and she just stands by the gate waiting to come back in, she still goes out everyday unless its extremely windy, we have some pretty old trees surrounding our field and one could easily come down. The one thing that annoys me is the crazy feeds some people feed their horses, and then wonder why their horse is going crazy and unrideable!

Ruto

Visit site
My boy is out 24/7 no rug apart from his natural warm cozy coat he was born with. He couldnt be happier in his natural enviroment with his friends. He is bare foot good doer so can survive off fresh air. I would never dream off locking him in a stable then wasteing most of our time together mucking out. I have said on previous posts girls who keep theres in allways coment that i have to brush him b4 i ride him to get the muck off. They say this as they walk to the muck heap lol. I can understand why some horses need to be in tb's etc and box rest. Hay each to there own lol.

Amen to that! Horses thicken and thin their coat according to the weather. They don't need rugs (in the MAJORITY of cases). Unless you do a lot of road work or your horse has some sort of hoof condition shoe's are also unneeded. Horses are much happier outdoors then cooped up inside- unless they have to be on box rest or what not like you said. :)

rockysmum

Visit site
Afraid we will have to disagree on this one. Agree horses enjoy being out if they have enough well drained land so they have something to eat and are not stood around in mud. Also if they have good quality shelter if the weather turns bad. Most people I know who do 24/7 turnout do not have this luxury.

I feel so dammed sorry for horses stood out in a foot of mud, in freezing wind and rain, with a bit of hay, but owners think its OK as they have a rug on.

I also dont agree with clipping horses who are expected to live out 24/7, so I would have to agree its not easy to ride. You spend ages cleaning them up, if you can get the mud dry enough to brush off, and then the horse sweats up with any real work because its not clipped.

brigantia

Visit site
The horse may not have a nervous breakdown if not seen every day, but surely if they are not kept at part or full livery you have a responsibility to check the horse for health issues and injuries each day.

What she said. Checking your horse every day is part of responsible ownership.

I'm totally fine with healthy horses living out 24/7 in any weather and unclipped horses being unrugged. But older or injured horses generally need a bit more pampering and shelter.

Arizahn

Visit site
My YO would probably chase me with a stick if I refused to let Ali have as much turnout as possible!

Ali is not clipped, but does have a medium weight turnout during winter/really wet weather. Her coat is thick, but not thick enough to tolerate our winters. She is Arab, and also has rain scald.
In summer she will not be rugged, unless the rain is blowing sideways:) I will be spending more time grooming her than riding (grey)!

I'm working on getting her diet as simple as possible at the moment.

Capriole

Visit site
what gets me really is when people shove their opinion on you, like the only right way is their way. Id never actually comment on the way they keep their horses (not that interested how anyone else keeps their horse), but Id like the same consideration off them, tbh.

Ruto

Visit site
My TB will get depressed if she's out constantly, put her out and she just stands by the gate waiting to come back in, she still goes out everyday unless its extremely windy, we have some pretty old trees surrounding our field and one could easily come down. The one thing that annoys me is the crazy feeds some people feed their horses, and then wonder why their horse is going crazy and unrideable!

It's understandable when their safety comes into question. I don't think there's anything wrong with stabling, as long as your horse/pony gets a reasonable amount of grazing time to balance it out. I know what you mean about the feed thing too! I know a couple people- one who doesn't do it now because she can't because she gave her poor horse laminitis- but they give full to the brim, medium sized tub-trugs full of feed! It's unreal! :)

LouS

Visit site
what gets me really is when people shove their opinion on you, like the only right way is their way. Id never actually comment on the way they keep their horses (not that interested how anyone else keeps their horse), but Id like the same consideration off them, tbh.

This.

Ruto

Visit site
Afraid we will have to disagree on this one. Agree horses enjoy being out if they have enough well drained land so they have something to eat and are not stood around in mud. Also if they have good quality shelter if the weather turns bad. Most people I know who do 24/7 turnout do not have this luxury.

I feel so dammed sorry for horses stood out in a foot of mud, in freezing wind and rain, with a bit of hay, but owners think its OK as they have a rug on.

I also dont agree with clipping horses who are expected to live out 24/7, so I would have to agree its not easy to ride. You spend ages cleaning them up, if you can get the mud dry enough to brush off, and then the horse sweats up with any real work because its not clipped.

The thing is, horses don't feel the cold as bad as we do, so they don't mind the weather. The don't like the mud but they're horses and I'm sure mud is the least of their concern- just think about cows and sheep etc, why are the an exclusion from all the rugging, grooming and shelter? Because it's not cruel to keep livestock-like animals in such a way. :)
Fair enough, myself or you wouldn't like being out in the blistering cold, muddy field but thats because we are HUMAN and we have a different way of living. A VERY different way,

What she said. Checking your horse every day is part of responsible ownership.

I'm totally fine with healthy horses living out 24/7 in any weather and unclipped horses being unrugged. But older or injured horses generally need a bit more pampering and shelter.

I do agree with you on that. :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Our two, 1 TB 1!x trotter have the option of stable or field, if the weather is good they stay out, if bad they come in, they have been known to stand out i8n gale force winds and be in all day in moderate weather, you go figure

Visit site
My horse lives out 24/7 at the moment, she does have a shelter in her field but just doesn't go in it! I went to rug her up the other day as we've had major storms at home and my worrying got the best of me. Normally lovely to catch, she sees the rug, 2 hours, 2 HOURS it took me to catch her to put the bloody rug on. Storm has finished now, my pa went to see her this morning, shreaded the rug to bits. I feel she has got her message across :mad: silly pony.

Ruto

Visit site
My horse lives out 24/7 at the moment, she does have a shelter in her field but just doesn't go in it! I went to rug her up the other day as we've had major storms at home and my worrying got the best of me. Normally lovely to catch, she sees the rug, 2 hours, 2 HOURS it took me to catch her to put the bloody rug on. Storm has finished now, my pa went to see her this morning, shreaded the rug to bits. I feel she has got her message across :mad: silly pony.

I don't know anyone with a field shelter whose horses actually use them!

rockysmum

Visit site
The thing is, horses don't feel the cold as bad as we do, so they don't mind the weather. The don't like the mud but they're horses and I'm sure mud is the least of their concern- just think about cows and sheep etc, why are the an exclusion from all the rugging, grooming and shelter? Because it's not cruel to keep livestock-like animals in such a way. :)
Fair enough, myself or you wouldn't like being out in the blistering cold, muddy field but thats because we are HUMAN and we have a different way of living. A VERY different way,

:)

If we are discussing keeping horses naturally, then confining them in a few acres of mud is as far from natural as keeping them in a stable If they were wild they would move around, find food and shelter and probably keep well away from standing around in mud. The poor creatures you see standing for hours with mud half way up their legs might just as well be standing warm and dry in a stable. They are not getting much exercise or grass.

I also assume mud fever, cracked heels and other such complaints dont occur where you live, if they did I think you would find mud is of great concern to horses.

Unless the farmers around you are very different to where I live, cows dont ever live out in winter. Sheep do, but they have the freedom of large areas of land with little mud and plenty of shelter.

Ruto

Visit site
If we are discussing keeping horses naturally, then confining them in a few acres of mud is as far from natural as keeping them in a stable If they were wild they would move around, find food and shelter and probably keep well away from standing around in mud. The poor creatures you see standing for hours with mud half way up their legs might just as well be standing warm and dry in a stable. They are not getting much exercise or grass.

I also assume mud fever, cracked heels and other such complaints dont occur where you live, if they did I think you would find mud is of great concern to horses.

Unless the farmers around you are very different to where I live, cows dont ever live out in winter. Sheep do, but they have the freedom of large areas of land with little mud and plenty of shelter.

Horses shouldn't be kept in fields so muddy it causes them mud fever and such. If you have unsuitable field for your horse perhaps you should consider finding a better field? And no, cows are not kept in fields over winter, they're jam-packed into crap filled cowsheds. :)

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
What Capriole said.

I pay for my horses therefore I shall look after them how I see fit. And if that means they are stabled at night and spending the odd day in rather than ski down the hill to a mud patch in appauling weather then so be it.

I have 2 fit competition horses who I would rather keep in every now and again then have them charge around trying to bring themselves in, possibly injuring themselves and creating a need for them to stay in on box rest for however long with no choice!!
They always get exercised and may even get an hour or two out anyway.

They are happy, healthy horses so I will continue to manage them my way.

Ruto

Visit site
What Capriole said.

I pay for my horses therefore I shall look after them how I see fit. And if that means they are stabled at night and spending the odd day in rather than ski down the hill to a mud patch in appauling weather then so be it.

I have 2 fit competition horses who I would rather keep in every now and again then have them charge around trying to bring themselves in, possibly injuring themselves and creating a need for them to stay in on box rest for however long with no choice!!
They always get exercised and may even get an hour or two out anyway.

They are happy, healthy horses so I will continue to manage them my way.

I'm NOT in anyway telling anyone how they should care for their horses, I merely stating my opinion on how I feel about owners who are ignorant to what their horses REALLY needs and not what the owner needs to have peace of mind. I understand you get get some horses who enjoy being kept in and some horses who GENUINELY have to be stabled. But horses who tank around the field are usually doing so because they're enjoying being out in the open. If they got out more regularly they more than likely wouldn't get so worked up about being let outside to play. :)
As I said, I'm not telling anyone how they should look after their horse/pony. This is just an opinion- as everyone is entitled to have. :D

rockysmum

Visit site
Horses shouldn't be kept in fields so muddy it causes them mud fever and such. If you have unsuitable field for your horse perhaps you should consider finding a better field? And no, cows are not kept in fields over winter, they're jam-packed into crap filled cowsheds. :)

I dont have an unsuitable field. My field is just fine for my cotton wool horses who go to bed every night in nice warm rugs, nets full of haylage, automatic waterers which dont freeze, huge thick straw beds and if its really cold some nice leg warmers.

My oldest is now 36 and still enjoys a gallop round his field on a nice warm rain and wind free day :D :D Put him out in the cold, wet and wind and he will be standing a the gate after half an hour.

be positive

Visit site

You have a very simplistic view on keeping horses, if the field is muddy get a new one, if only it was so easy, horses are frequently kept in areas where grazing is hard to find not everyone has the luxury of a field behind their house.
Many are happy living in, they are fed well, kept exercised and active, they are not suffering from mud fever or rain rash.
I have some out 24/7 several would probably opt for a stable when the weather is bad, others are in at night, clipped in work and are far from depressed they are all bright, full of energy and enjoy their work, even my 33 year old who would get depressed if left out when he wants to come in to bed.

Ruto

Visit site
Really, thats great for you && your horses. I'm not saying there is anything wrong for over-caring for your horses, I'd rather they be over-cared for than under-cared. I just don't see why you get snipey, up their own a-hole horse owners who think it's wrong for a horse to be kept in their natural environment. You should have one acre per horse- Minimum, and if you have this then you should have no problems with your horse being turned out 24/7. :)

Ladydragon

Visit site
I dont have an unsuitable field. My field is just fine for my cotton wool horses who go to bed every night in nice warm rugs, nets full of haylage, automatic waterers which dont freeze, huge thick straw beds and if its really cold some nice leg warmers.

My oldest is now 36 and still enjoys a gallop round his field on a nice warm rain and wind free day :D :D Put him out in the cold, wet and wind and he will be standing a the gate after half an hour.

That did make me laugh...:) The horses on our yard (a mix of breeds) are all booted out by 9ish at the moment and in at around 4pm... And good luck to anyone nipping on the yard to do anything in between as by lunchtime they're normally all clustered in the mud bath around the gate and start yelling and kicking holy hell out of it if someone shows up... The oldest is in his twenties...

In the warmer weather they could be hiding anywhere in 23 acres (I'm sure three horses can magically fit behind one tree somehow) and they all become conveniently deaf if you want to bring them in of an evening for a ride or groom etc... Even though they're on 24hr turn out then...

They make their preferences pretty clear I think... :)

Last edited: