Cough and Hay problem

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Hi. Last weekend we put 3 big bales of hay in our fields for the horses that our out 24/7, including mine. Since then he has been coughing a lot and in the past 2 days has been coughing up horrid yellow gunk. I've now been told that he does cough a lot whren fed hay. Soaked hay has been tried in the past and hasn't worked. Now he's going to go in a stable in the next few weeks (hopefully next week) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to feed him. We are thinking of going to haylege, do people agree with this or do you think it will have the same affect on him. Sorry about the long post!
xxxx

tazet

Visit site
could be something to do with the hay as he started coughing when it was put out, i would try soaked hay again but make sure it is soaked for at least 30 mins. make sure the bedding is totally dust free and if he is in an indoor barn try him in an outside stable if possible. if soaked hay fails again then try haylage but i would also contact your vet as he may have COPD and ventapulmin (not sure on spelling) would help but i would try stuff from your feed merchant first (koff syrup)as its cheeper it worked on mine.. gool luch and hope he improves.

Parkranger

Visit site
There's no dust in hayledge so should help him - my boy has half and half but only cause it would cost a fortune to feed him just hayledge!

Try steaming the hay - supposed to help kill the spores...