Coughing advice - alternative to steroids ?

zandp

Visit site
I've got a terrier cross who's probably 14 at our best guess (rescue dog). He's been coughing for a while now and we can't find a reason. He's recently been xrayed to check his lungs and all came back clear, well nothing abnormal for an older dog. His larynx was fine too, no blockages or weaknesses seen anywhere.

Vet gave us Panacur in case it was lungworm, he's gone back today for his checkup 5 days after the xrays were done. He's still coughing, the vets have advised us to finish the course (2 days left). He also had Trimacare (antibiotic) and Corvental-D (for bronchitis and congestive heart problems) and still has 2 days left with both of these.

His cough starts in his chest and he normally coughs 3 or 4 times and then stops again. He mostly coughs in the evening, especially before he goes to sleep.

Vets are totally stumped as they'd really hoped 1 of the 3 drugs would have cleared this up. They've said the next step is steroids, assuming the problem is asthma, although the chest x rays taken didn't seem to indicate that asthma was the problem.

Unfortunately I didn't take him to the vets, I usually do, OH did and he didn't ask questions about why they were suggesting steroids just remembered what they'd suggested.

Does anyone have any alternative to steroids - more natural with less worrying long term side effects ? At his age he'll be on them for the rest of his life.

Are there any natural cough remedies ? Anyone got any ideas / clues ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Has he had allergy tests? Have they scoped his nose? Does Panacur work on heartworm?
Have they had a look at his bladder and bowels?

I think you can use certain types of cough medicine but perhaps other people can advise better.

zandp

Visit site
Apparently they said yesterday that as his x rays were clear the next step was steroids, they didn't even tell him what the steroids would treat, any side effects etc. I'm going to be ringing them with a list of q's I think.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Please do and change your vet if you aren't happy, that's what I had to do.
I know it sounds daft but coughing can be a sign of waterworks issues so do ask for a urine and blood test too.

harkback

Visit site
If all tests come negative try manuka honey. I have heard of several dogs, (and people for that matter) with nagging coughs, some severe enough to produce blood stained mucous (I am one of them) and tests for cause are all negative. I was talking to a vet friend and we wonder if, just if, the volcanic ash has any bearing on it. I know in my area there are days when the mobile phone signal which usually is brilliant, even in a thunderstorm, now sounds like you are using the phone underwater.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Could so easily be a heart problem at that age which would then allow fluidy lungs,you need an ECG or doppler to be sure.

minmax

Visit site
Does you dog pant a lot too? I lost my dog a month ago, she started coughing. Then panting all the time. I thought she had something in her throat first of all then after 2 lots of xrays and a scan she was found to have heart disease. Finally got her on the right drugs and she had a massive heart attack and died 2 days after starting the drugs. Don't waste time, it could be something treatable if caught in time.