coughing...:(

TarantuLove

Visit site
My neddy has started coughing (a dry cough, no mucus) for a few days now - the 2 horses next to him are coughing as well
shocked.gif

What can I do to help him out?

kimky

Visit site
Sounds strange but could be a repiratory virus if the other horses are coughing (if they dont normally). I would see how he goes an if more horses or he worsens i would call the vet. Incase, good luck x

kellyeaton

Visit site
get an resperatior lick some equimins air power booster see how he goes for the next couple of days if no better call the vet! just keep on eye on his temperture temperment and all the other normal signs!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
If he was the only one with a dry hacking cough at this time of year, I'd suspect pollen allergy. Sunny got it quite badly the 1st 2 years he was at our new yard, but interestingly only had a couple of "ahems" about the time I expected it to start. His immune system may have learnt to deal with the new pollens he wasn't exposed to halfway up a mountain.

But since all 3 of the horses have a similar cough, it's probably a virus as guiness says. As you will know, no antibx will touch a virus, the horse's body has to develop the antibodies to deal with it. So if it IS a virus, I'd make sure he has the best nursing care along with his favourite nibbles if he's off his food and loads of tlc. Management things like plenty of fresh air but not cold and wet. A horsey cough linctus may make you feel you are doing something constructive, though I doubt if any over the counter linctus like Lincon does anything more than give a few moments of soothing to a scratchy throat. Keep an eye on him because sometimes an opportunistic secondary bacterial infection can sneak in while the horse's body is busy tackling the virus, Antibx may be needed if that happens. I'd lay off any work or exercise until he's on the mend. Try to think how YOU feel when laid up with a virus and apply that in horsey terms and you won't go far wrong x

flyingfeet

Visit site
Everything is coughing. I've now swapped my bedding and starting using a haygain steamer following a short course of ventipulmin.

Now back to normal, I think my horse (like me) had a reaction to the heavy tree pollen a the moment. Makes everything raw and sensitive on the airways.