Could anyone identify these for me?

Doormouse

Visit site
I was poo picking last night and every poo is picked up was literally crawling with these little bugs. Are they simple dung bugs or are they something more sinister?

fatpiggy

Visit site
The farm where my girl saw out her retirement kept free-range ducks and they would target pile of poo. They could reduce a nice tidy pile to something that was a yard across and completely fragmented. Three guesses what tasty morsels they were hunting for ! (put me off duck eggs for quite some time :) )

3OldPonies

Visit site
They're just little dung beetles. I love seeing the little iridescent ones later in the year; and the ones that are as big as a thumbnail are (I think) pretty cool - talk about a coat of many colours :) Though at the moment the ability of these little 'uns to spread poo and make it all fluffy is driving me nuts - it takes ages to poo patrol when they've been at work on the poo in the longer grass!

More seriously though, these little critters do us a favour by exposing worm eggs to the sun and to other bugs and birds that will eat them. Also, thanks to the overuse of wormers they are also getting a bit rare in some parts of the country and some species are even endangered (so the ecologists here at work told me in the past - used to have the chap here who has written the definitive guide to UK dung beetles!!!) The ones at most risk are the brown dung flies so if you see some of those you have a really rare creature with you.

katymay

Visit site
I have millions of these left in the bottom of the wheelbarrow after I have poo picked and emptied, they make to poo light and fluffy so easier to pick up :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
I love the fact PhotoBucket thinks you might like them as a print on canvas. Would certainly make an interesting talking point on your dining room wall!

_GG_

Visit site
These guys are the reason the crown like to scatter your horses poos...love that it makes them lighter in the wheelbarrow, hate that it takes longer to pick up!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I was poo picking last night and every poo is picked up was literally crawling with these little bugs. Are they simple dung bugs or are they something more sinister?

we have those too- they cover the bottom of the trailer after poo picking

we have orange type flies sitting on the poo . i thought they laid the eggs and the flies the result

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
We get flies on the poo -- then pied wagtails chase the flies and leave little messages on the poo piles which makes me look to see if they are worms!!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
We get loads of them too - and the crows and magpies can then be found feasting on them.

I think they're fascinating: watching a whole poo move as they do their thing!

Doormouse

Visit site
It's weird because this is definitely the first year we have had them here. I wonder what has changed in the ground / Eco system to bring them?

When I was watching them I couldn't decide if I was fascinated or revolted! They were tricky little numbers to photograph because once I removed the poo from the box and opened the lid they all flew off!