Could it be cushings?

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Sorry in advance if its a little long.
I have slight concerns over my 8 year old mare, theres just something i can put my finger on. The other night she sweated up in her stable, only in a lightweight. She is clipped but its growing back so i put it down to this and a mild night. Then she came in a few nights later slightly lame, there was no heat or pulse so put it down to a slight strain. 24hrs later, all fine.
Today she and her friend had a mad 5 minutes as something upset my gelding, brought them both in and discovered she was dripping with sweat. head to toe. You could have steamed vegetables on her back! She was in a 200g rug as its been -1 today, she wasn't too hot when i had checked a few hours earlier. She is also overweight but even so, i didn't expect to see so much sweat.
The biggest thing is my geldings attitude, he dotes on my mare and cannot be separated. In the last few days he's got very grumpy and anxious. He even had colic two days ago, possibly down to stress. Today, I noticed big chunks of wood missing between his and her stable, and a couple of bars have been bent. There is nothing on my mares side or on his door. He has also been pooing in his water bucket which is in the same area. Is it possible he's picking up that theres something wrong with my mare? I only ask as it was one of my dogs that alerted us to the fact that another one of the dogs had cancer. So just going along the same lines...

Could it be cushings even though she's so young? anything else? Or am i just reading too much into it? Probably going to be ringing vet tomorrow but just wanted to see if i was over reacting...

Cookies and wine to whoever makes it this far!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
has their routine changed recently ? I only ask as if they have suddenly been stabled at night it can make them change for a bit until they adjust and with the cold spell we are having they could be just a bit on edge, I know mine sometimes get a bit silly once they are back on being stabled at night.

WandaMare

Visit site
I wouldn't be thinking cushings with those symptoms, although I think they can get it that early. My clipped horse would easily sweat if she ran around in a 200g rug, -1 isn't really that cold for horses. Mine have been in no-fills until today and now in 100g and its been a cold wind here today. What breed is she? I would be checking her temperature and keeping an eye on her feet just in case.
Could it be something else bothering your gelding, fireworks? Some mares have a big season as their last one of the year so maybe this has effected them?
One of the main symptoms of cushings is lethargy and depression, is she showing any signs of these?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Does she still have her hollows above her eyes or are they filled? This is one of the first symptoms of Cushings, usually before the more obvious signs. How much is she drinking and peeing? A 200g rug is probably too hot for her. My small fine WB mare only has a 100g rug on at the moment both in and out of the stable. She's still nice and toasty. Same with two of the others here. One other is in a 200g but she hardly grows any coat, and the other is in a 300g because that's what his owner wants, but he seems fine.

eggs

Visit site
Best thing would be to have a chat with your vet and see what they think. It is easy enough to do a Cushings test if they think that it could be that.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I lost a 6 yr old Shire to what we now think was Cushing's, she had foot abscesses and skin problems, was very difficult to keep weight on. I have just put my Draft made onto Prascend because of similar symptoms, she has always been a hot horse but she is now 23. Iiwy, I'd have your horse blood tested for Cushing's and then you will have a definitive answer.

Cocorules

Visit site
Best thing would be to have a chat with your vet and see what they think. It is easy enough to do a Cushings test if they think that it could be that.

Agree but yes heating up can be cushings related my cushings pony has problems regulating her temperature.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
They've been in overnight since September so i doubt its that. She's a cob but not one for getting over hot when clipped. They are both fairly chilled with fireworks, he got a little upset Saturday night but okay since then. Her being in season was considered but she's not showing any signs of a season like normal. She's relatively quiet to handle which has surprised me as she's been coming in overnight and off work. Usually she's only quiet when out 24/7. Last year we had a huge problem with her tanking in hand, which she hasn't done this year. I've not noticed a change in her eye hollows or her drinking/peeing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
one of the first signs for my mare were lethargy and being a bit grumpy and i just assumed it was because she was getting older, then she didnt lose her coat properly so i got her tested and her acth level was quite high at 172...once she was on prascend she went back to being her usual happy sparky self....

FFAQ

Visit site

This.

Unfortunately, you've just missed the boat on the free lab test. Don't let them fob you off with 'your horse is too young' - my vet said she's had positive test results in horses as young as 4.

Not saying for one moment it is cushings of course, but if you and your vet think a test is a good idea, at least you'll know. Hoping it's something simple and easily fixed for you!

JillA

Visit site
Sounds more like Insulin Resistance, which may accompany Cushings or other metabolic disorder, or not. Check her diet for sugars and starches (cereals) if the ACTH test comes back in normal parameters, you might be able to manage it if so.