Could it be laminitis again?

Montyforever

Visit site
Mystis not been quite right today :(
When I went to bring her in she didn't want to be caught straight away (normally fine) and she walked up quite slowly and had her ears back. So I checked her feet and they were quite warm and she had a slight pulse in her leg :( she had laminitis in June last year pretty badly in 3feet but recovered quite well and hasn't had any problems since, she's only having a small handful of healthy hooves morning and evening and having her hay soaked still. She has been moved into a new field reacently but it is next to my normal field and has no more grass in it and she is slightly on the skinny side so I am doing all I can for her and desperately hoping its not lami again!! So if anyone has any advice I will be greatful ..

3Beasties

Visit site
It could well be laminitis.....but then again it may not be. Only your vet will be able to tell you for sure.

I have heard of some cases this Winter as it's been so mild and the grass has still been growing.

I'd speak to your vet for peace of mind. Fingers crossed it's nothing x

Montyforever

Visit site
Could also be mild colic. Fingers crossed it's not lami.

I don't think it's colic, she's did a poo and ate her dinner while i was changing her rug. She has had spasmodic colic before but she got herself really worked up then and she was very quiet tonight :(

MiCsarah

Visit site
My boy has been coming in with swollen glands so the grass must be growing again so just be careful with grass intake

moorman

Visit site
I would not hesitate to get the vet, whatever it is it is always best to have the diagnostics done asap, that way treatment is more effective.
As a referral farrier I can tell you that the earlier I can get to a laminitic the better.
In fact if I can get there in the first 12 hours I believe the prognoses is improved by 50%.
What ever is wrong be prepared to give information on the EXACT diet of your horse, I find this information very valuable but not always easy to come by!!

Montyforever

Visit site
I would not hesitate to get the vet, whatever it is it is always best to have the diagnostics done asap, that way treatment is more effective.
As a referral farrier I can tell you that the earlier I can get to a laminitic the better.
In fact if I can get there in the first 12 hours I believe the prognoses is improved by 50%.
What ever is wrong be prepared to give information on the EXACT diet of your horse, I find this information very valuable but not always easy to come by!!

Vet will be out in the morning unless shes better. I cant risk it with her shes already had lami twice. Haha exact diet of my pony isnt hard .. Handful of healthy hooves so she doesn't stress when the others are fed, a few pony nuts in her ball if shes in for longer than normal, small (6/8 lb) haynet soaked and shes out in a field with 2 other horses for 6 hours maximum during the day (no grass, the field is practically bald)
Infact shes a bit on the lean side at the mo and i was thinking about increasing her fed slightly!!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Laminitis can be triggered by a number of different things so it may well not be grass or feed. In one of my horses it was triggered by emerging encysted small red worm (these are not detected in a worm count only by taking bloods). Laminitis can also be caused by an infection, stress, insulin intollerance, Cushings disease and many other things. If it is Laminitis it is important for your vet to try to determine what caused it.

starryeyed

Visit site
They can also get lami from having too short grass ("stressed" grass), or if it's been frosty as this increases the sugar in the grass.
I'd definitely get the vet out, even with the tiniest bit of doubt, because it really is a case of the sooner the better. Have you tried applying pressure to the sole of the hoof, did she respond? Is she turning okay? Let us know how it goes, hope it's nothing serious.