Could it be teeth or something worse?

Elsbells

Visit site
I've bought a smart little Connie x from Ireland who is absolutely perfect in every way and gorgeous looking too, so I'm already quite attached to him. He has been hunted by a man for the last 4 years but is only 15.2. The guy by his own admission liked to be up with the hounds and so this little lad has been rallied, raced and jumped the moon!

He is perfect, but difficult to bridle and shy if the saddle. When there's weight on his back he quivers like a jelly and I feel is running away although I hasten to add he doesn't do anything bad such as rearing, he just dashes. I've looked in his mouth and he still has his wolf teeth and it looks like he's never had the dentist(whose coming tomorrow).

This poor little fella is so honest and genuine I really feel for him and want to do the right thing. Has anyone ever had a horse or pony who reacted so with a mouth problem please? I guess the dentist will tell me tomorrow but I would love to hear of any stories, I just want to help this dear little guy.

Milk and cookies for anyone whose got this far..........well it is bedtime.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Chiropractor for this lovely boy. Difficult to bridle would tell me his Poll is out of alignment and being stressed about saddling usually suggests neck and back problems.

Love Connemaras
^^^
This!

I would have all the checks done.

Once done I would spend time just desensitising him, slowly and carefully.

Elsbells

Visit site
^^^
This!

I would have all the checks done.

Once done I would spend time just desensitising him, slowly and carefully.

I have thought this but he lunges beautifully, rolls right over and I've pressed and podded everywhere for a reaction and there isn't any, he seems to react more when the reins are taken up, hence teeth........or so I'm thinking. I've lunged him in the Monty and he did a jolly buck in trot and seemed happier in it than the butted bridle. I'm going on gut instinct that it's his mouth but I guess his back neck and poll could be a possibility. I should know more tomorrow as the dentist is an old horseman.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It could just be fear from being broken or ridden roughly in the past. When he's had his teeth done it might be a good thing to take him right back to the beginning and take him through all the stages in mouthing and training you would a young horse to cover anything he might have missed out on and to gain his confidence. My friend has had 2 Connies from Ireland and both were afraid of the bit.

Elsbells

Visit site
It could just be fear from being broken or ridden roughly in the past. When he's had his teeth done it might be a good thing to take him right back to the beginning and take him through all the stages in mouthing and training you would a young horse to cover anything he might have missed out on and to gain his confidence. My friend has had 2 Connies from Ireland and both were afraid of the bit.

That too Thankyou. I do love a project, I just hope on hope its nothing to major that can't be helped! My mare was a project and she's turned out super although it has taken a long time. I'm more prepared for the work this time and I shan't be so much in the dark so teeth and chiro will be done as a matter of course. Step 1 was my turning him away for the summer which he loved.

Elsbells

Visit site
Oh no !!! Sorry did that come across wrong, no I really hope it is teeth and a easy fix as he sounds a super pony. I am half asleep here and must of put it wrong. :)

The written word Sukistokes, I've misinterpreted sorry. I'm looking for all advice and even a slap if I get it wrong. Cookies and milk for you.