Could this be a cyst on her ovaries? Ideas?

Elsiecat

Visit site
My horse has always been opinionated and quite moody. I've never took it as anything more than that. She's had her silly moments whilst been ridden eg. bucking when I've asked for a canter occasionally (which I've put down to excitement) or suddenly having a mad few seconds and then calming down again (again, I've seen this as her being excited.)
She is on Oestress as she becomes awful when she's in season.
She also HATES her girth being done up and always threatens to bite (rarely does though) - again, I always put it down to her being opinionated.

However today -

I was riding her for a good 40 minutes. We did lots of transitions. Walk, trot, canter. She was fine. Even got on and off from the ground a few times (something she usually protests against). Anyway, as I was about to start winding down, I asked her to stop trotting and walk. She did. A minute later I asked for what was supposed to be a nice slow trot. Anyway, she took off. Galloping, then into canter, bucking, spinning, galloping again, cantering, bucking.
She's never done anything like this with me. It was a good 3 minutes before I could slow her down. I was shaking by that point, so I just asked for a little walk and got off after about 10 metres.

She then walked next to be sweet and happy as anything. She even did her 'say please' thing asking for treats like nothing had happened!

Does this sound like it could be something to do with her ovaries?
Grooming her when I went near her belly this evening she went to bite me twice :(

She's lively but she's never been what I'd call dangerous before today.

Any ideas?
Also, I've come to the conclusion I've got a velcro back side.

Persephone

Visit site
Do your sessions normally involve stopping and starting, mounting and dismounting a lot?

Maybe she didn't know if she was coming or going (no excuse) and got pee'd off?

Elsiecat

Visit site
Do your sessions normally involve stopping and starting, mounting and dismounting a lot?

Maybe she didn't know if she was coming or going (no excuse) and got pee'd off?

I did it twice and we then rode happily for a good 10/15 minutes after this!
I don't know I just know I need to find out what caused this :(

Persephone

Visit site
To me it doesn't sound like ovaries, only because I'm certain it would have happened before. She's still following the same pattern re girthing, grooming etc. as she already was.

That's why I wondered if your session content had changed.

Maybe it was sunny/cold/spring and she was having fun? Or maybe she thought she had finished and threw a strop.

I guess if it happens again, get her and her tack checked over.

Elsiecat

Visit site
To me it doesn't sound like ovaries, only because I'm certain it would have happened before. She's still following the same pattern re girthing, grooming etc. as she already was.

That's why I wondered if your session content had changed.

Maybe it was sunny/cold/spring and she was having fun? Or maybe she thought she had finished and threw a strop.

I guess if it happens again, get her and her tack checked over.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Well to be honest, now I'm thinking about it, all 3 of them are being PIA's at the moment. So could it really just be something as simple as the weather? We've had a very sunny spring day here.

I'm not sure whether to get back on tomorrow and take it easy and see if she reacts the same way again.

Had her for 9 months to the day today and she's never shown anything like this so you're probably right that if it was ulcers I'd have seen behaviour before now :)

Persephone

Visit site
My last mare was a prancing, snorting, idiot when she had a chilly wind on her!

So, you haven't known her in spring before! I hope it is that simple for you :) Did she feel the same as usual when you were riding her? Perhaps give her a steady lunge first in case it is spring fever?

Elsiecat

Visit site
My last mare was a prancing, snorting, idiot when she had a chilly wind on her!

So, you haven't known her in spring before! I hope it is that simple for you :) Did she feel the same as usual when you were riding her? Perhaps give her a steady lunge first in case it is spring fever?

Haha!
No I've never met the old bag (I love her really.. sometimes) at this time of year before.
Erm she felt quite sprightly today but I hadn't ridden in a few days so she was just being enthusiastic I think/hope.

Think I will give her a good lunge tomorrow and see how we go on. Thanks for putting my mind at ease :):eek:

flaxen tail

Visit site
My mare suddenly became girthy which then progressed to objecting to her rug being done up. Checked by vet who found sore spots and after ultra sound is now touch wood so far 100 percent ok with rugs and girth. It was very out of character with her so I had her checked ,hope you can get to the bottom of what is going on with your mare.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Hmmm. Going to go for a hack tomorrow and see if there is any naughtiness. She loves hacking so if she is well behaved out hacking it may point to her outburst being a one off (we've all had a meltdown!!!).
Just hope this doesn't become a reoccurring thing as I'm hoping to go away for a year in August and want someone to ride her whilst I'm gone - but obviously wouldn't knowingly put anyone in danger!