Could You Ever Sell Your Horse If....

Cobland

Visit site
someone offered you more than you paid for it? A few months back at a previous yard i was offered £3500 for Mae from a funeral palour for her to pull their cart along with another horse that was identical to her. I paid £1400 for her and just couldnt part with her.

Obviously this started a fight between hubby and me who said that i could use the money to go get another horse and have money left over, but shes so ideal for me in every way.

On my confident days she pushes me like an instructor lol, on days were my confidence isnt so great she looks after me. In the year ive never had one time where ive said ive been too scared to ride her.

My friend has been riding for years and she gives her a run for her money. Yet with the YO and another friend learning to ride on her, she is so gentle and laid back.

Michelle73

Visit site
NO NO NO NO NO. I was out hacking and a car pulled up along side and asked me if I wanted to sell my horse (he's not mine, just on loan/being looked after for the owners) and I was mortified that someone had asked to buy my magnificent horse. I knew I should have been flattered but I see him as MINE and I don't want to share him or ever part with him no matter how much I struggle or how many jobs I have to work to keep him!!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Cobland

Visit site
See Michelle im the same, i wasnt remotely interested in the money, though would have been nice lol, but i never hesititated in telling him she wasnt for sale.

Now if it was hubbies horse i would have said yes lol, only joking

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I was offered a lot of money for Amy several years ago - around £3k more than I bought her for...........

I said no.

However, it would be a different story with Thumper. You got £8k and he's yours!
grin.gif

Cobland

Visit site
Amy he is a handsome boy, give me a week and i will get the money
smile.gif

Oh could just imagine hubbies face if i told him i was buying another one!

Will ask my friend if i can post a picture of her horse that looks like him.

custard

Visit site
First thing I'd say is tell hubby to mind his own! Regardless of what you paid for her she sounds perfect for YOU and if you sold her could spend months searching for something that never quite lives up to her. Horses that can tune themselves in to the riders ability and behave accordingly are priceless IMO!

Re my own neddies, Willow I could never sell. Cat would have to do something really terrible but I don't think he's got a nasty thought in his head so very unlikely, they'd have to offer me stupid money.

FinellaGlen

Visit site
I wouldn't sell my pony for any money because she is the best horse I've ever had and is perfect for me. I would have sold the last two like a shot. In fact I did sell my WB for more money than I paid to a lady who really wanted a horse with his bloodlines.

Daisychain

Visit site
Well in this instance no, i wouldnt sell because what you going to get with that money anyway? I wouldnt sell a good genuine horse for £3,000 if you no what i mean.

Cobland

Visit site
Mae is perfect for me in every way. shes only 4 but alot wiser than any horse double or treble her age. Shes only ever taken an instant dislike to one person, that was the first yard we were at, the girl got on her and she reared right up and took off!

When learning to trot, canter and jump she would slow down if she felt i was getting nervous or unsteady. People say our bond is too strong as if im standing at the arena watching someone ride her (no matter were around the fencing i stand) she naps and tries to get over to me. Yet she doesnt do it with beginners on her.

She taught my cousins 5 year old boy to ride, she would do a lap around the arena walking slowly and then stop just before the gate. Give her a smack on the bum and she does another lap lol.

Ive had her at the beach and shes taken kiddies for rides there. However when galloping with my friends 14.3hh tb x, she can keep up!

Hullabaloo

Visit site
No because anyone who offered more than I paid for him now he's 4 years older and has a dodgy leg would have to be mad and therefore not fit to look after my horse!

DAHH

Visit site
I was offered a stupid amount of money for my first horse by someone who was lookiing for a young riders horse for thier daughter. I admit to being very tempted,thinking new horse, new car, holiday....! However the girl was such a spoilt brat that there was no way she was having my horse.

I still have the horse and she has just had the most delicious foal, so I am very happy I did not sell her. Apart from when my old car breaks down that is....

ecrozier

Visit site
Nope. I think he is probably worth a fair bit more now than I paid for him as we have done masses, but I don't think I could replace him with any amount of money! If someone offered us good money for OH's mare to use as a broodmare, we'd consider it I think. My older mare, much like Hullabaloo, they'd have to be certifiable if they offered us good money for her, she's 17 and riddled with arthritis, and really not that well schooled. I'd worry about their sanity and also where she might end up in the long run, so doubt I'd let her go either!

KatB

Visit site
IF it was over the odds then yes, because if it was over the odds I could buy another of similar quality and still have money in the bank!! If it was market value, then no, as I would only want something the same anyway, so would be no better off!!!
tongue.gif
I brought my horse just backed, so i hope his value has increased anyway!!

katelarge

Visit site
Hmm, this is a good one. For a horse like Mae, who gives you so much confidence - you acn't put a price on that, and getting something so clever and good for £1400 is not something you're likely to do again, so hang on to her.

I think the crunch comes if you ARE looking to sell. I paid very little for my horse I'd hope to at least double my money if or when I do sell him. But if I do ever decide to sell, my reasons will be more than making a few grand.

HenryandPeta

Visit site
Depends on the horse! I was offered 2 x the value of my last horse (a complete head case) by a well known eventer, but having heard some horror stories about the yard and methods, I declined. 2 months later I got 4 x what I paid for him from a lovely gent who now drives my ex-nutter!

As for Henry, I was offered stupid money for him 2 years ago at a Fun Ride - needless to say I said no and am still very happy with my lovely boy!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I think if anyone offered me more for my horse than I paid for her I would think they were too crazy to own horses LOL.

Seriously though, I think I would be tempted but I'm not sure I'd be able to go through with it.