Could You Gel With A Grumpy Horse?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
As the title, could you gel with a grumpy horse?

I know several people who's horses will take a chunk out of you over the stable door, or who are ears back all the time if you're in their space or go into the stable and I just think I would struggle to have a horse like that - humanising but I like to feel liked or at least tolerated by my horse, even if that is because I am the bringer of feed. Ian Stark commented that one of the Badminton Entries (stable name Arthur) was just the grumpiest horse he'd ever met - but then you are trading that in for talent I suppose!

Obviously potential pain response aside, some horses are grumpy just for being grumpy!

Last edited:

Upthecreek

Visit site
As the title, could you gel with a grumpy horse?

I know several people who's horses will take a chunk out of you over the stable door, or who are ears back all the time if you're in their space or go into the stable and I just think I would struggle to have a horse like that - humanising but I like to feel liked or at least tolerated by my horse, even if that is because I am the bringer of feed. Ian Stark commented that one of the Badminton Entries (stable name Arthur) was just the grumpiest horse he'd ever met - but then you are trading that in for talent I suppose!

Obviously potential pain response aside, some horses are grumpy just for being grumpy!

No. It would bring me no joy whatsoever. I don’t mind quirky behaviour but not downright nasty, although there is usually a reason a horse behaves like that with humans. I would choose temperament over talent every time.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think it depends. If they’re a horse who you totally gel with when ridden, and they are an uncomplicated ride, then yes.

bonny

Visit site
I think it depends on what you mean by grumpy, what you want the horse for ....too many variables to answer really.

ponynutz

Visit site
I would always try to figure out why and make the best of a bad situation but I'd struggle to gel with them completely. If they were a lovely ride especially I would also try harder to make it work (as Amymay said).
If I felt I was over-horsed or in danger though then it would be sold ASAP.

nagblagger

Visit site
Must admit mine came very grumpy, but, because she threatened before reacting, i felt there was something to work on.
Due to various scars, hair worn away in certain areas i could see why - humans must have made her like that. Through time and tolerance, freedom to live out with other horses, she now just a typical moody mare. 2 years later we have bonded, certain things are still work in progress and she allows me to do, but threatens other people if i'm not there.
We have come so far, i love her individual character and we have such a special bond, she won't be going anywhere.
(She is the one in my avatar.)

scats

Visit site
My jumping pony hated being fussed in the stable and she would bite over the door. Prior to me getting her, people used to go in to feed her with a yard brush…

I thought she was the most fabulous, spirited pony there was and it never bothered me in the slightest. She would snarl at me over the door, but as I walked away I would look back and there was a genuine look of affection at me. I accepted her for who she was and she rewarded me by being the most incredible pony there was to handle and under saddle. I loved that pony so much, she could do no wrong in my eyes.

Millie’s a grump in the stable. She won’t bite or kick, but she doesn’t want fuss in the stable and does tend to look at me like I’m something she’s stepped in when I walk in. However, shes the sweetest pony outside.

mariew

Visit site
It depends, if you can work away that grumpiness then yes (I turned around a riding school horse that used to attack people when I was a teenager). However if a genuinely grumpy horse that doesn't like people (or me!) then I don't bond nor enjoy it. I like sass and attitude but need an underlying fun and nice nature.

Cloball

Visit site
I quite enjoy a horse with strong opinions. I'm not sure I could deal with a horse that I felt genuinely didn't like me specifically or was dangerous. Most of the horses I have known that have been labelled grumpy have had pretty tough lives previously or it was a management issue.

One eventer was unrecognisable after his holidays nice as pie after some turnout but would fly over the door when stabled. One was a ex racer who adored the yard cat and was lovely to ride once you got on.

GrumpyHero

Visit site
My old boy was a grumpy soul in the stable around food. He didn't appreciate you being in his stable once his food was in there, and would also protest with ears back and grumpy faces if you didn't tie his hay net up as quickly as he would like.

He was such a safe horse to ride. Pretty bombproof and I never felt unsafe on him. He was affectionate on his own terms, and would groom you if you scratched him in the right spot. He was a nice enough person out of the stable.

I loved him so much and enjoyed being around him, so yes, for the right horse it is very possible to gel with a grump (though it has to be the right level of grump!)

LeneHorse

Visit site
I've enjoyed 20 years of grumpiness from my moody mare. She is a total character and I honestly wouldn't change her for a more affectionate horse. She makes me laugh every day

I'm Dun

Visit site
No. I want a happy horse that enjoys its job. However I'll take on all sorts and see if I can turn them round. One of mine was aggressive and not very nice to be around, once the pain issues were sorted he came round pretty quick.

smolmaus

Visit site
I don't think I've met a horse who is grumpy all the time or with everyone. I know one who is aggressive because he's insecure (and he has very very significant trauma in his past) but once you're his friend he is very different. I've seen him horrifically bruise someone's shoulder, like detailed dental imprint bite mark, for nothing we could figure out but he is like a lamb with people he likes and those people would take a bullet for him. The quote is "once he trusts you he will walk through fire for you" and I believe it but he is a VERY difficult horse to like when you first meet him.

One that just needs time and trust and patience is a joy when they eventually come round. A horse that is so damaged they will never like anyone? That's just very sad.

Cowpony

Visit site
My loan pony was like this when I took her on. At times I felt like ending the loan, but I felt very strongly that she was in pain and I wanted to see if I could help her. She'd go from a beautifully soft eye to wanting to kill you in a split second, but equally she'd go the other way, and when she was nice she was lovely. I still don't like horses that bite, and I wouldn't choose to have one, but she's taught me a lot and we haven't had any aggression for the last month, so I'm hoping she's sorted.

TwyfordM

Visit site
My pony has a natural resting b**** face ? she will flatten ears and snap at anyone she doesn’t want in her space. On entering the stable if she’s not in the mood you get presented with a bum. But she doesn’t kick. Shes earned the nickname killer pony despite never really hurting anyone.
Her little personality makes me smile daily, the face on it goes from miss grumpy to ears forwards and the most high pitched whinny in a split second. She also nickers at you wanting your attention then looks disgusted when you pat her. Hilarious honestly ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The only proper grumps I've known have had something physical going on with them. I couldn't deal with something that lunges over the door to take chunks out of anyone who happened to be passing, I'm on a shared yard and that would go wrong eventually.

I do have some that enjoy their personal space and don't invite you into it. That is fine by me.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I couldn't deal with it, but lots of people have different priorities & can handle different things. The most I get off my boys is a face at tea time but that's it, I like them to enjoy me being around them etc.

smiggy

Visit site
I had a mare I was really struggling with riding wise but was persevering, paying a professional rider three times a week etc
then one day she just flew across the box at me, for no reason, and bit me hard on the chest.
I organised sales livery ( with full disclosure ) the next day.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
Most definitely 'Yes'. However, I also have others who are cuddly. He puts his ears back, nips over the door, swishes his tail and looks generally grumpy. Once you climb on board, he's amazing to ride. Love him to bits.

tatty_v

Visit site
I would describe my fabulous old boy as a bit of a grumpy old man, but it’s more that he has clear opinions on what he does and does not like (grooming is a no unless shedding or a soft mitt on his face, clipping is tolerated but we have a deal not to do the tickly armpits etc) and I respect those. He’s not an overly affectionate horse (especially compared to the new boy who’s like the Labrador of the horse world and would sit on your lap if he could) but I adore him and I believe after seven years he secretly likes me ?

(I also respect him more - his affection is most definitely hard earned and not freely given to anyone who walks by!)

Upthecreek

Visit site
I don’t mind horses who aren’t keen on cuddles and I don’t expect affection. I also don’t expect to be lunged at with bared teeth over the stable door or to be turned on and double barrelled if I enter the stable. Horses like this might be manageable if you keep them at home, but I keep mine on a busy livery yard so this kind of behaviour would be dangerous to others even if I was prepared to put up with it.

Cob Life

Visit site
I had a “grumpy”horse that I just clicked with, turns out if she likes you she’s not grump, trots across the field to meet me now.

But a true grumpy horse I wouldn’t get on with, I don’t just like riding, I like spending time with them.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
My now retired lad is grumpy, always has been. Would never bite or kick but does pull faces. He is ok on the yard and in the field, worse in the stable. My tb is totally the opposite.

Peglo

Visit site
My TB gets nicknamed grumps but she is a sweety really. She likes a cuddle and fuss but can be grumpy around food and always need to be on the ball with her with other horses around. She’s the type that would threaten to kick but not actually go through with it. If she didn’t show me any affection I think I would struggle to bond.

I’m really not a fan of grumpy men (of any species) so think I would struggle more with a gelding.

Auslander

Visit site
My oldest livery is a really grumpy old man! I love him to bits, but I have to keep my wits about me, as he does not love me back. He is 31 and very doddery, but very handy with teeth and feet. I really don't know why I am so fond of him!

He's also a very accomplished break dancer - I have learned not to go in with him while he's busting these moves

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My oldest livery is a really grumpy old man! I love him to bits, but I have to keep my wits about me, as he does not love me back. He is 31 and very doddery, but very handy with teeth and feet. I really don't know why I am so fond of him!

He's also a very accomplished break dancer - I have learned not to go in with him while he's busting these moves

That video is adorable! I think it's easier when they're older to say they've almost earnt the right to be grumpy :p

Auslander

Visit site
That video is adorable! I think it's easier when they're older to say they've almost earnt the right to be grumpy :p
I think that's it. He is such an old man that he can get away with being cantankerous! It always amazes me that it hurts when he bites me, as he has no front teeth at all - managed to cure his cribbing, but it was too late for his teeth!

Amusingly, he behaves immaculately when the vet/farrier/dentist are with him. They don't believe me when I tell them that neither the bitey end or the kicky end are to be trusted!