Countryfile “horse whisperer”

[118739]

Visit site
Not sure if anyone watched countryfile last night (I didn’t) but my generally non horsey OH mentioned it this morning and was very impressed with what the “horse whisperer” did ...
Sounds like they did a join up? So I promptly sh*t on that idea and pointed out that someone trying to ‘join up’ with my current lawn ornament is probably why she couldn’t understand the concept of lunging when I first got her.

Looked on Twitter apparently it was someone called Kelly? - never heard of her, is she legit Or another monty roberts type?

...Sorry I’m generally a bit sceptical of anyone who sells handling horses as “horse whispering” ?

TigerTail

Visit site
Not sure if anyone watched countryfile last night (I didn’t) but my generally non horsey OH mentioned it this morning and was very impressed with what the “horse whisperer” did ...
Sounds like they did a join up? So I promptly sh*t on that idea and pointed out that someone trying to ‘join up’ with my current lawn ornament is probably why she couldn’t understand the concept of lunging when I first got her.

Looked on Twitter apparently it was someone called Kelly? - never heard of her, is she legit Or another monty roberts type?

...Sorry I’m generally a bit sceptical of anyone who sells handling horses as “horse whispering” ?

Before you 'promptly sh!t' on a very well known, experienced person who has done an awful lot to further humane horse handling in the UK perhaps you might get off your enormous ego and do some research?! If you come across in real life like your first post read you must be a delight :eek:

doodle

Visit site
I have direct experience of her and monty Roberts where my horse was wanted for a demo. It was a terrible day and they are simply showmen and don’t actually care about the horses. I saw the behind the scenes of them “preparing” their horses for the demo and I had better not say anything about that.

[118739]

Visit site
Before you 'promptly sh!t' on a very well known, experienced person who has done an awful lot to further humane horse handling in the UK perhaps you might get off your enormous ego and do some research?! If you come across in real life like your first post read you must be a delight :eek:

Oh wow .... I was trying to be light hearted ... I know jokes don’t come across well when typed out but I genuinely have a horse who I suspect has been “taught” to join up - which I get isn’t the idea but it’s had crap results for her and so I would be weary of engaging in using it on any of my horses in the future. I was actually questioning whether I was too quick to sh*t on his wonderment with the join up feature ... hence asking if the lady on the programme was legit from other peoples experience.

Blooming heck ... that was a bit mean?

[118739]

Visit site

Also just to add ... I didn’t say anything about her?!? I pointed out that the method he was describing has been done badly on the horse we actually have sat in our stable outside? Hence me wanting to find a bit out about the whoever was in the feature. Like I said I didn’t see it ... I wouldn’t comment on her or her work even if I had... that’s exactly why I asked others who have direct experience for their opinions.

I don’t think whatever she does is bad (I can’t comment on it can I?) - I do think people who don’t know what they’re doing trying to replicate it at home with half an idea can be though ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have direct experience of her and monty Roberts where my horse was wanted for a demo. It was a terrible day and they are simply showmen and don’t actually care about the horses. I saw the behind the scenes of them “preparing” their horses for the demo and I had better not say anything about that.
I’m sorry that you found that. Monty is a showman, for sure. My horse was used for a demo when he first came over in the 80s, I was behind the scenes, it was all good.

Kelly wasn’t associated with MR then, but I‘ve met her since and seen her work. She is a diamond, not at all arrogant.

[118739]

Visit site

Oh right ok not so cut and dry then, that’s sad to hear. It’s a shame & I’m sorry you had a bad experience - hope your horse was ok though.

[118739]

Visit site
This would have been around 2007. I had better say no more or I will be thrown off the board.

That’s quite a while ago I guess, and I assume monty Robets would have been leading everything given he’s the major name? (Rhetorical question I think, I know you don’t want to get into it).

[118739]

Visit site
I’m sorry that you found that. Monty is a showman, for sure. My horse was used for a demo when he first came over in the 80s, I was behind the scenes, it was all good.

Kelly wasn’t associated with MR then, but I‘ve met her since and seen her work. She is a diamond, not at all arrogant.

That’s good to know! I didn’t get the impression she was arrogant from what the OH said. He was v impressed, just got my back up when he was describing the join up process. Ive met people who see it as a quick fix for things - which obviously me (and my massive ego ?) are a bit suspicious of. It all depends how it’s sold (or what it’s sold for?)- monty roberts style or a bit more down to Earth I guess. Sounds like based on your experience she’s the latter which is good to hear!

Kaylum

Visit site
One of our animals was used in a demo by one of his prodigy. Let's put it this way it didnt go well and there were injuries but he had a fantastic time.

Never thought join up was a quick fix I thought it was more to use as a bonding trusting aid.

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
It was pretty well 50:50 at that time. I saw her “warm up” her horse before demo. Also the same with Monty. They then lied and said along the lines of “look how great we are, theses horses have not stepped foot in this arena”. And the advice she gave me left me staring at her in disbelief.

Kaylum

Visit site
It was pretty well 50:50 at that time. I saw her “warm up” her horse before demo. Also the same with Monty. They then lied and said along the lines of “look how great we are, theses horses have not stepped foot in this arena”. And the advice she gave me left me staring at her in disbelief.
Ours went for training with them before hand this was many years ago now. But like I say it didnt go well and they used a round pen with him.

[118739]

Visit site
One of our animals was used in a demo by one of his prodigy. Let's put it this way it didnt go well and there were injuries but he had a fantastic time.

Never thought join up was a quick fix I thought it was more to use as a bonding trusting aid.

Just to be clear - not the same lady from the telly last night?

No I don’t either - and given I have no experience in it I wouldn’t use it. But I’ve definitely heard some questionable ideas about what a join up will achieve from a couple people who I guess, it had been mis sold to ?‍♀️

doodle

Visit site
I can’t stop now.

The “unhandled” horse for starting had in fact been handled daily it’s whole life and was used to being lunged in tack. The “horse that took 3 hours to load” had in fact loaded straight away to get to the demo. My horse who I said I had had 3 weeks and I couldn’t pick up his back feet was rejected as he was too “difficult” to be used as he wouldn’t pick up back feet. The horses were assessed in the round pen while there were numerous tractors etc moving around setting up the seating. Literally right beside them. But His and her horses were not allowed to be exposed to this. They waited until the arena was completely empty and spent an hour riding them before saying their horses hasn’t been ridden that day. Her horse had been ridden intensely for almost 2hrs. This involved cantering over a jump, hauling on the reins to stop, turn and canter back over the jump, hauling on reins and repeating. I felt my horse was girthy. Her advice. Put him in a roller and breastgirth and in a stable and shut the top door and leave him to it.

Kaylum

Visit site
Just to be clear - not the same lady from the telly last night?

No I don’t either - and given I have no experience in it I wouldn’t use it. But I’ve definitely heard some questionable ideas about what a join up will achieve from a couple people who I guess, it had been mis sold to ?‍♀️
No not the same person another one of his prodigy.

[118739]

Visit site
I can’t stop now.

The “unhandled” horse for starting had in fact been handled daily it’s whole life and was used to being lunged in tack. The “horse that took 3 hours to load” had in fact loaded straight away to get to the demo. My horse who I said I had had 3 weeks and I couldn’t pick up his back feet was rejected as he was too “difficult” to be used as he wouldn’t pick up back feet. The horses were assessed in the round pen while there were numerous tractors etc moving around setting up the seating. Literally right beside them. But His and her horses were not allowed to be exposed to this. They waited until the arena was completely empty and spent an hour riding them before saying their horses hasn’t been ridden that day. Her horse had been ridden intensely for almost 2hrs. I felt my horse was girthy. Her advice. Put him in a roller and breastgirth and in a stable and shut the top door and leave him to it.

Oh no that sounds awful especially the last bit ... I hope given it was quite a long time ago things have changed maybe? People now have positive experiences one on one which is hopeful? Not to disregard your experience. Sounds grim to be honest

Morgan123

Visit site
Agree Cauda - MR has been thoroughly debunked now (and therefore Kelly too, tho I gather she is trying to branch out a bit?). No behaviourists advocate his methods. Same as Cesar Milan.

McFluff

Visit site
I watched it, expecting not to like it much to be honest, as I'm a bit wary of the whole 'join up' process.
However, I thought she explained what she was doing and why in a logical way, and she achieved the aim, which was to help a young semi-feral exmoor accept routine handling for the good of it's health. She also then showed Adam how to use his body language better which makes sense as it leaves him able to carry on this work. There was no 'chasing and waiting for submission' that I associate with join up.
I can understand being sceptical or wary of a method if you have experience of a horse mucked up by someone else, but honestly, in this particular case, it all looked sensible and appropriate.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I had a horse that I had put forward and had been accepted to be used in a demo. 3 days before demo horse was not right so on vets advice I pulled them from the demo. I was put under a lot of pressure from the team to take them to the demo and was spoken to extremely rudely when I wouldn't. In the actual demo KM made a big thing about being let down by horses not appearing and when I apologetically spoke to her about why horse had been pulled from the demo and asked her a one line simple question about issue it was going to the demo for I was told to buy her book. She could have answered the question in one short sentence, the same amount of time it took her to tell me to buy her book. This would be in about 2000-01.

Eta I was upset, disappointed and very annoyed at the way I was pressured to take the horse and the way KM handled it, despite the horse being seen by a vet and being advised not to travel rather than the lack of 'free' advice from KM although I saw and heard her go into a lot of detail in other people's questions.

Last edited:

greenbean10

Visit site
Also side note - genuinely sorry if my original post sounded arsy... it wasn’t intended that way and the tone I typed it in my head is clearly v different to the way it was interpreted ? that has been weighing on my mind given that it lead to an accusation around my personal conduct irl.

I read it and didn't think you sounded arsy at all so honestly I wouldn't dwell on it!