Countryfile

jrp204

Visit site
Ok,bit late but CF on Sunday. What went on with that calving? Heifer is calving, lad and herdsman check the heifer and apparently everything is there, in farmer speak. They then go on to say that week later the vet is called as she hadn't calved, was unable to and is destroyed due to septicaemia. So, farm is organic so appreciate it makes treatment difficult so why wait a week to call the vet when they could either C sec her and remove her to a non organic herd or destroy her much earlier on.
Also, why did they tell the viewers that this happened, if we had admitted that Animal Health would have us up against the wall.
Am I missing something??

d_morrow

Visit site
My first thought was - how miserable for the poor heifer to have to endure a journey to the abbatior as she must have been in a lot of pain - and surely, by that stage, totally exhausted?

kiteman0

Visit site
We are calving at the moment and someone would have been sacked for neglect.
If they dont calve with in 4 hrs i can maje sure that they will within the following 10 mins

Emz99

Visit site
I can't believe they put her on the lorry after the vet found calf was dead, they seemed surprised the carcass was condemned?!

Ps organic farm can have c-sections performed, I've done one!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
I have to say I was pretty horrified at the treatment of that cow. It would have been far kinder to put her down at the farm than make her travel all the way to an abbatoir in her condition. Really, really sad in my eyes. Yes they can't afford to be sentimental but there is no need for cruelty and neglect :(

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Disgraceful and neglectful handling - I think all involved should be ashamed. I made this point on a farming forum and got little response [ that forum seemed pro Prince Chaerles, tho on this programme I cant see why - he should have been looking after his animals rather than pretending to lay a hedge!], so I m heartened its come up on this forum.
I could hardly believe my ears that they left the heifer for a week, and then to admit that publicly?! If our cows arent progressing and theres some sort of difficulty the vet is called - to me economics arent an issue, the cattle s health and welfare is paramount - and economics certainly shouldnt be the excuse for the Duchy to behave in such a shoddy manner.

jrp204

Visit site
I think the fact it was Prince Charles farm is actually irrelevant. He has staff who oversee the running of the farm. The lad who checked the heifer was working under supervision of the herdsman who I assume would be answerable to the manager. I have emailed Countryfile to ask why they saw fit to tell the public the heifer had been left, I have had an automated email, just wondering if they will properly reply.

Twizzel

Visit site
Just watched it- I too cannot believe they left her a week before the vet saw her. Surely they should have known her due date and given that she was in the early stages of calving the vet should have been called the morning after at the latest... really shocking.

braveheart

Visit site
I'd be keen to hear what the bbc have to say about it jrp204, I thought it was dreadful. I dont understand why the vet was not called sooner! x

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Didn't see the programme but I'm stunned that anyone would leave an animal giving birth for a week, it's certainly not standard practise amongst anyone I know or have spoken to, organic or not!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Is the relevant piece of film still available?

Alec.

It is about 20 mins into the program.

As a daughter of a beef farmer, the idea of leaving her for a week to calve does seem very wrong. We've all had a few cows struggling, and the vet is called there and then. If after that, it isn't working out well, then the cow is destroyed there and then. Wouldn't even dream to send them off in that state. I thought the way 'we' do it was the normal for all... obviously not!

Alec Swan

Visit site
I watched the relevant bit once (about 22 mins in), and then to be sure, I went to watch it again, and it shut me out!!

From the first viewing, I thought the following; that there had been some very strange editing and compilation of the film, and that the dialogue was somehow miss-matched with the events.

I'm not making excuses, but I can't imagine that if the events, "as they appeared", actually happened, or as they were portrayed, then someone would be for the high jump. That young lad, "Ben"? seemed to me to have a rough idea what he was doing, but that the poor beast started labour, and then a week later, she was shot, just isn't believable. I don't think that she'd have lasted that long. When a calf, a lamb or a foal dies, pre-parturition, then within hours it starts to decompose, within a day or two, it's rotting, and the smell is something else.

To suggest that they sent the wretched creature off to slaughter, knowing that she was carrying a 7 day dead calf, and that she was herself suffering, as she would be were she sceptoscemic, is beyond belief.

Somewhere, somehow, something went very wrong, in my opinion. If the programme was accurate, and the events happened as they were portrayed, then Prince charles needs to find himself a competent stockman.

Alec.

ETS, Having had a while to think further about this, I find it beyond common sense to consider that the heifer was kept in her condition, for 7 days. No stockman would permit that. a.

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
I saw that.Very odd to me.Cow obviously in labour and distressed.Young lad with thick heavy glove (How do youy feel ANYTHING with such a thick glove) and it certainly didn't look sterile.If cervix open thats when infection will have been introduced.God only knows what really happened but not impressive.

jrp204

Visit site
The lad didn't do anything out of the ordinary, the gloves are used by farmers and vets and you can feel plenty in them, you are talking about a calf, you need to feel feet and head you are not completing surgery. It was about as sterile as it could be, they are in a agricultural shed not an operating theatre. If they had been doing a section it would be a different story. Have just watched it again, they didn't call the vet to check her he came on a routine visit so they had him look at her while he was there.

eahotson

Visit site
The lad didn't do anything out of the ordinary, the gloves are used by farmers and vets and you can feel plenty in them, you are talking about a calf, you need to feel feet and head you are not completing surgery. It was about as sterile as it could be, they are in a agricultural shed not an operating theatre. If they had been doing a section it would be a different story. Have just watched it again, they didn't call the vet to check her he came on a routine visit so they had him look at her while he was there.

Its not an operating theatre but there is the possibility of an open cervix and therefore a route for infection.With those gloves i would expect you could feel the calf but what about the cervix?Is it dilating? How much etc.? Whats actually happening.? Cow obviously in labour at one point then seemed to have stopped.Of course it could have been a badly edited a film.

Pale Rider

Visit site
You'd think a herdsman on that farm would be up to scratch, because thats where the accountability lies.

Don't know what really went on, it being TV and all but it was a poor do.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I didn't see it however being organic is no reason for the vet not to be called.

I would question if the heifer was actually calving at all tho. I would have thought if the calf had been coming out, she would have died if it hadn't been born within that time. More likely is the calf died and was rotten inside her. Certainly in my experience with sheep you can go to lamb one which has just started and the lamb can be totally rotten and stinking, the ewe often shows no signs whatsoever that anything is wrong and if you can get the bits out and get plenty of antibiotics in, they can survive.

Anyway whatever the story it does not sound like she was dealt with properly, or it reported on properly, and sending her to an abattoir was a bit desperate if you ask me.

eahotson

Visit site
I didn't see it however being organic is no reason for the vet not to be called.

I would question if the heifer was actually calving at all tho. I would have thought if the calf had been coming out, she would have died if it hadn't been born within that time. More likely is the calf died and was rotten inside her. Certainly in my experience with sheep you can go to lamb one which has just started and the lamb can be totally rotten and stinking, the ewe often shows no signs whatsoever that anything is wrong and if you can get the bits out and get plenty of antibiotics in, they can survive.

Anyway whatever the story it does not sound like she was dealt with properly, or it reported on properly, and sending her to an abattoir was a bit desperate if you ask me.

At one point the cow definately looked in labour objectively.She looked very uncomfortable and kept getting up and down.Later she looked very comfortable so either labour has ceased or there was very bad editing of the programme.

Alec Swan

Visit site

Certainly in my experience with sheep you can go to lamb one which has just started and the lamb can be totally rotten and stinking, the ewe often shows no signs whatsoever that anything is wrong .......

I can't agree with that. The ewe which is carrying a dead lamb should be obvious to the competent shepherd. The rotten and stinking lamb would have been dead for a day or so, and the ewe would, or should, have had a marker.

Alec.

BigBuck's

Visit site
At one point the cow definately looked in labour objectively.She looked very uncomfortable and kept getting up and down.Later she looked very comfortable so either labour has ceased or there was very bad editing of the programme.

I wondered if they were even showing the same heifer in the later footage, or just random footage of an in-calf heifer of that breed.

Jax

Visit site
Well I was disappointed when tonight the presenter held up a "duck" that was clearly a "drake" but proclaimed it a duck anyway.

I did see last weeks programme and was also quite taken aback by the treatment of the heifer, but sadly not surprised by it having seen the standard practice taken on most farms.

meandmyself

Visit site
Awful. Just awful the way the treated her. If they'd got the vet out on the first day, they could likely have saved her. Need to figure out who to email now to complain to- I'm honestly appalled by it.

jrp204

Visit site
Well I was disappointed when tonight the presenter held up a "duck" that was clearly a "drake" but proclaimed it a duck anyway.

I did see last weeks programme and was also quite taken aback by the treatment of the heifer, but sadly not surprised by it having seen the standard practice taken on most farms.

This is standard practice on 'most' farms?? Nothing like a bit of generalisation then, and you must be very busy travelling the country visiting 'most' farms. I would strongly disagree with you, how many dairy farmers, who are mostly producing milk at a loss could both afford to leave a heifer in that situation, losing the heifer and her calf and would ignore an animal that needs help.

Alec Swan

Visit site

Para 1. The drake was in fact a duck. A duck by species.

Para 2. Your experience of farming practice, on "most" farms is sadly lacking and making such sweeping statements cannot go unchallenged. The simple practicalities are that with the huge loss of finance, with the death of and the incineration costs of that heifer, to suggest that it's common place, is wrong.

Alec.