Countrywide Recreation Haylage - anyone used this?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Hi

Has anyone tried this? I've moved and went to my local Countrywide to buy some High Fibre horsehage and they don't stock it. They tried to sell me the above (http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=10413) instead, but couldn't give me any analysis on the sugar content. They are very handy and there doesn't seem to be anywhere local that does stock the horsehage so I'm considering trying it. Has anyone used it, particularly with a sensitive and/or barefoot horse?

Some background - I have a cob who is a very good doer and sensitive to sugar. I keep him barefoot / unshod and any high sugar feed has him footy on gravel. Normal haylage (from the local farmer) also upsets his stomach and gives him the runs, as well as bringing his skin up in lumps. He has a dust allergy so I need to soak his hay for at least half an hour and in the past I have always kept a bag of the high fibre horsehage (which he is fine on) so if I need to give him a haynet unexpectedly (or ask someone else to) I can use that.

marioforever

Visit site
I have used Countrywide's haylage in the green and black bag. I have a good do-er and she really liked it. I stopped using it when someone on my yard told me the sugar content is higher than HorseHage's High Fibre as like you I dont want to overload her system with too much sugar. I did ask at my local Countrywide and they did confirm it was higher sugar than HorseHage. Probably okay to use occasionally though.