Couple of questions about weight and colour

WelshD

Visit site
I took this lovely photo of my chaps today :)

My first question is does the dark grey look too overweight? He is three years old. I'm slightly worried as he is a bit cresty though he has always had a chunky neck even after gelding. He has no hard feed apart from lo cal balancer and nothing else apart from a high fibre block to play with once a day. I can feel his ribs though. The grass they are on in the pic is the grass they will stay on for the summer.

Secondly is there definite stages to the way greys get lighter? he doesnt look like he will go dappled to me, can they skip from grey to white? is it likely he will keep that dorsal stripe?

43ae16a5-f2f9-4b47-a355-484b2413e883_zpscf53589e.jpg

LessThanPerfect

Visit site
Don't know the answer but I think you need to send him to me so that I can monitor the process for you----I'll have a reply in, say, 20 years :) He is just adorable!

julie111

Visit site
He looks fine though I would be monitoring very carefully. Sorry can't help with the colour but what a sweet pic:)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think you're going to have to watch his weight with the grass coming through. My grey is the same - lives on fresh air.

RE dappling, not all greys get dapples. I have wondered if dappling depends on the horse having sooty, as sooty definitely causes dapples on non-greys. The dorsal stripe will go eventually but it could take two years or twenty.