Coupling Up A Trailer - Help!!

lea

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on coupling up if I hire a trailer for my trailer test that does not have a little mirror at the front? Just spent 190 yesterday on a test and the use of an instructors trailer which had - but I failed on a 20mph zone outside a school. Needless to say I cant afford the test and the instructors trailer again. Does any one use markers etc? Many thanks

frannieuk

Visit site
Ialways tended to get fairly close, jump out and have a look and then line up - I think you get used to your towing vehicle and trailer and find your own markers. I have heard that you can couple up, and then put strips of tape on the rear screen and on the front of the trailer that line up when your in position. TBH though, I think practise and familiarity will probably be the best way. Sorry to her about your test btw, hope it goes ok next time
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
I think its practice too but my hubby put a small piece of black tape on his rear window and lined it up with something on the trailer, I think it was the clip that the cable clipped in to on the front of an Ifor?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yep, you can use markers if you like. As Louby said, you can use tape to line up with something in your back window.

I have a fixed mirror on the front of my trailer which helped a lot!! You can buy them and stick them on.

It is pratice pratice practice! And remember you dont have to get it spot on. Id never had problems coupling up but come to my test, I was so nervous! Id reversed up twice and was still quite a bit off. But you are allowed to pull the trailer to the ball (as long as you do it right, ie. putting on brake when not pulling etc.) which I did. Took me about 5 mins because I wasnt strong enough to pull it over in a oner! But passed
smile.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Practice! All of us develop little strategies - bits of tape and learning how it looks when it's there. It won't be as easy if you haven't a regular vehicle and I used to get it nearly there and then move it forward by hand. Always fancied a mirror as it looked like a very helpful gadget, but never got round to buying one as I thought it would probably get pinched
frown.gif