Covering in hand( experianced peeps please)

eventing_chick

Visit site
Any advice? My boys going to cover his first mare at the end of the week (athough hes had collections via AV on a live mare) we have a experianced handler but not done covering before.Im getting a bit aprehensive. We tried the mare AI but didn't take. My vet is helping,Im just concerned about getting my boy kicked.(covering boots are on thier way)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
As long as you have a good stallion man I'm sure you'll be fine - as mare owner I would be more concerned about the stallion damaging the mare, rather than the other way around - if no experienced stallion man was on hand, or the stallion himself was inexperienced.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I'm not expereienced by any stretch. I have just started helping my YO who covers all his mares in hand. This is what we do.
He has an indoor which he has had a huge sturday half door put on. I take mare to the indoor school, he brings the stallion out, they chat over the door, if the mare is keen I lead her into the school with her bottom facing the stallion. If she shows any sign of kicking out at the stage the stallion is taken away and the mare will be tried another day. Stallion comes in, mare is covered hopefully, the stallion is taken away and the mare is walked around for 10 minutes to settle her down.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We learned the hard way by finding out what didn't work!
over the last twenty odd years we now find this works for us.
We try over the stallion's door which has a V grill on.
If the mare is ready she will sit lower, squirt and back up to the door turning sideways towards him.
If she shows any resistance towards him take your time but be sure she is not in a position to wallop the door and hurt herself.
Once she is squiring freely, take her to your chosen place of covering.
Now we used to use the arena, but pretty dangerous for all concerned, now we have a very strong fenced area in the old indoor school padded well at chest height with foam and carpet. The mare handler goes through a door bhind this and holds the mare in a lunge line. If you don't know she is a quiet type use a bridle.
The stallion in our case is in headcollar and lunge line, we used to use chifneys on them but to be honest once they know their job we didn't need them.
Watch out leading your stallion as once he susses what's coming next he may rear, scream and generally behave like a prat. try and approach the mare sideways on and at as slowa pace as he will go (leap boing may be all you can manage to start with if he is excited)
Allow him to nuzzle her shoulder but never get nearer the head than that, it causes screams from them both and they get silly. Your stallion should then attempt to mount, ensure the mare has a tail bandage or guard on to eliminate the chance of a hair slicng his penis.
Provided she is ready she should lift her tail and stand for him.
Do not pul him off afterwards, try and sort of let him slide off (Oh boy this sounds far too graphic for public consumption!), an then lead him away right away.
If you pull him off the semen leaks out with him until it's shunk completely (told you it was graphic..)
If the mare refuses to stand, leave it, she isn't ready or cycling properly.
This is only our method, remember at posh studs they have several people holding the mare, several people helping the stallion, (no ours don't need anyone to "aim" them thank goodness)
but sometimes there has been just one of us and we have had to find a way of coping alone or with just two people. I have been known to tie p a quiet mare in a headcollar and do it on my own...
wink.gif

Once he has done it a few times he may get more difficult to handle as you go towards the mare, remember the posturing/noise is not beingthreatening at you, it's just to let the mare know he's on his way.. make sure you stay out of harm's way..and wear gloves, if they start messing about it doesn't half hurt ..
Sorry just read the last bit that says you have done it before, well don't worry, if the mareis right it will be over in seconds....Have left the rest of the reply up incase anyone else finds it useful..

Panther

Visit site
ANY doubts hobble the mare, an experienced handler will tell you what he wants you to do.. have you another mare to tease him? Is your mare really ready??? Once they really are there are few that will kick out before the act...

anyway regarding kicking .. most mares once in season and willing will kick after.. not during or before... during dismount and the turning away/circling helps resvolve this issue..because you are taking the stallion in one direction mare in another and he shouldn't get kicked in the nether regions....

eventing_chick

Visit site
Thanks for the advice the mare is being monitered and due to be scanned again on friday.
To be blunt she's a compleat 'slapper' and is more likely to throw herself under him!
shocked.gif
shes not really showing yet and keeps calling him across the yard.
You have put my mind at rest a bit ( he's my baby and i do worry about him a bit too much) Twemlows said he was extremely well behaved while he covered there and he's going to do the deed at the vets.
Thanks again
smile.gif

Panther

Visit site
god if it's tremlows you have no worries,,, they know full well what they are doing!!! go to bed you silly mare!! LOL!! 'joke' in good hands!!!