COVID-19 and vets

tatty_v

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone’s vets have moved to emergencies only? Looks like the BVA is steering them in that direction and around here some small and equine practices have already taken that approach. Scary times, for vets and owners ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
nothing yet from my equine practice but I'm keeping an eye on their FB and website as I have a visit scheduled this week for my broodmare. I wouldn't be trying to book anything else routine but as a first time breeder I really want her to be getting her recommended jabs :( watch this space, I guess. So far there hasn't been any further update to clients since last week's about how they were organising visits and appointments.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup, my somerset vet has and as I still follow my wilts vet page they have too.
Cambridge group posted about vaccine not being done today.

Hope you manage to get salty stabbed MP. I wonder if they'd let you have it for self stabbing?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a broken tooth and had to call my (human) dentist and they are on emergencies only. I suspect I would be best to have the dratted tooth pulled out tomorrow, it has lost 3 fillings now. I guess it is not surprising that vets are on emergency only, having said that, I am not sure where they will set the line at what is an emergency and what is not?

Slight lameness? Bigger lameness but no blood?

Chippers1

Visit site
Oh I was wondering about this as i'm convinced Buzz has an issue somewhere so was looking at getting a lameness work up (even to just satisfy myself that nothing is - hopefully - wrong) but I did think whether they would go to emergency only and I don't think this could be classed as an emergency :( I haven't seen anything from my vets though.

It would make sense in the current climate and my cat's vets have moved to emergency only as well.

Follysmum

Visit site
I just rang my vets as have weekly visits for my injured horse. At the moment they are still doing visits but this could change

milliepops

Visit site
Hope you manage to get salty stabbed MP. I wonder if they'd let you have it for self stabbing?

good call. I have stabbed her before for her... um.. think it was oxytocin or something! not afraid of doing that and it's only as recommended rather than needing the passport signed off properly to show anyone.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
that was my thinking, it's for her benefit not a paperwork exercise.

I'm suspecting they have all left their receptionists a list. For me I would consider it anything likely to deteriorate rapidly without intervention.

ihatework

Visit site
good call. I have stabbed her before for her... um.. think it was oxytocin or something! not afraid of doing that and it's only as recommended rather than needing the passport signed off properly to show anyone.

MHRA, FDA and the likes are being very pragmatic about solutions for getting medicines to patients, things that wouldn’t normally be done.

I’d be hopeful the veterinary governing bodies will follow suit and allow supply and self administration of some less risky medications, which to my mind should allow for an experienced owner to vaccinate. We shall see ....

Squeak

Visit site
Ours are still operating as normal having unfortunately had to see them everyday for the last week but I can understand vets wanting to move to only doing emergencies.

Visit site
Mine is now only doing emergencies. I have them coming out at some stage today for teeth as horse has stopped eating properly and pony is the same after playing with the welsh cob yesterday. You would think at 28yo he would know better but oh no! He must have banged himsself somewhere the silly old fool! If it was a routine dental it would have been cancelled.

Routine vaccs will not be being done so if yours falls around now your screwed and will need to start again.

And that in iteslf brings about a whole new kettle of fish ...

be positive

Visit site
Emergencies only, just messaged the farrier as no idea what he is doing and that is more of a priority than flu jabs, with nothing happening the risk of flu is negligible for the foreseeable.

Michen

Visit site
Depressing. Boggle had laser treatment no 1 of 7 on Friday. I only have so much to spend on it with insurance and some from my own pocket. Due two more this week but have said to practise feels pointless if needs to be done as part of a course and non essentially work to stop imminently. They can’t really give me a definite answer right now and I want to support them financially where I can but it’s difficult.

also had Bears first jab which will need doing again in 6 weeks so that was probably a waste of money!

tatty_v

Visit site
It does look like there will be a move to emergency-only cover over the next few days. Pony was due his teeth doing so am hoping they’re not too sharp and pointy so he can last a bit longer!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had texts from my vets (small animals & farm/equine) that they are not doing routine work. They have listed a series of hygiene precautions including handing small animals over at the surgery door. They have also said that repeat prescriptions rules have been relaxed

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
My small animal vet is emergency only, my equine is still doing visits but no 6 monthly flu, dentistry to be postponed if possible and no pre purchase examinations.

milliepops

Visit site
Well mine are coming out to do Salty's third EHV jab today, as it's her third one and they're considering treatment for in-foal mares to be necessary (otherwise its emergencies only). Just had a phone call from one of the partners asking how we will manage it so we've agreed I will open all gates etc and he will go to the horse direct and inject her, no need for us to be in contact with each other. Seems sensible and we can achieve all that safely, she's an easy horse and the set up is ideal.

chaps89

Visit site
My mum's horse was at Liverpool last week for bone scan as quite significantly lame. Results through and on Monday he was booked back in with normal vets for various bits to be medicated on Tuesday. They called and cancelled on the morning. I was a bit surprised that they could leave the horse without treatment given as he seems in pain on a day to day basis tbh, although they have offered danilon for the interim? But it is what it is.

Umbongo

Visit site
Yup, I work in a vets and emergencies only. Some appointments are at vets discretion. No physical client contact at any time.
Most vets will be operating on skeleton staff. A lot of staff have children or live with vulnerable people, are pregnant or have their own health conditions. If one person in the practice shows virus symptoms, the whole practice will shut down.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
My vets have been emergency only since Monday. They are doing video telephone consultations for £30 and if you then need a visit they're knocking £20 of that off the cost.
They've said they're trying to come to a deal with the vaccination suppliers and will offer zoned visits for when the restrictions are lifted so anyone who needs to restart their course won't have to pay full price.

PSD

Visit site
My mare is going through a bad bout of laminitis and my vets are doing consultations/ monitoring over the phone where they can however they are still coming out to x ray her we just have to distance ourselves and stay hygienic. She is classed as an emergency though, my farrier is still trimming her too but he asks me not to be there when he does it