Crack in the hoof... help and advice needed

_jetset_

Visit site
I have never really had an issues with feet as my IDxTB mare has pretty good ones (especially now she is on Hoof Power), but when I got my new WBxTB mare I noticed she had a crack in one of her front hoofs. The farrier told me to keep an eye on it, but didn't think she needed shoes when I first got her because she would not be doing road work etc (I have rebacked her in the last 5 or so weeks).

However, she is now starting to do road work and I think the crack has become a little worse. I could be wrong as I have not really paid that much attention to it if I am honest as she has only been going in the school, but if I noticed it today after a hack then it must have become more obvious.

The farrier is coming out on Monday anyway (he comes ever 6-7 weeks) and I am going to ask him what he thinks would be best. However, as he runs on a pretty tight schedule, I would like to give him an idea before he gets here on Mnoday.

Do you think she would be better having shoes on? Her feet do not look in bad condition except for this crack, they are not flaking or breaking at all. She is also on Hoof Power (she was on something called EquiHoof when she came but it was easier putting her on the same as Hannah).

Thanks everyone in advance,

Rebecca x

_jetset_

Visit site
The crack is vertical and I would say about 5-7cm up the hoof. To be honest it is not too far from the coronet band, but it was like this when I got her. It looks as though it has grown out a bit, but looks a little wider if you know what I mean
smile.gif

S_N

Visit site
I'd call him and discuss it tbh. Remember that putting nails in a hoof, essentially weakens the hoof wall - BUT she may benefit from a bar shoe to totally stabalise the foot. I'm just thinking off the top of my head here as I obviously can't see the foot.

TGM

Visit site
Do you have a digital camera and does your farrier have email or a phone with picture ability? If so take a photo of the hoof crack and send to your farrier - then you can both discuss the situation and decide best course of action.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We have learned an awful lot about cracks in hooves the last 18 months, spent over a thousand pounds on remedial farriery, transport to them x rays etc, and had a horse on total box rest now for over 9 months.
Our farrier told us to keep an eye on it, well sorry it's HIS job to tell you when action is needed as we discovered to our cost.
Our mare deveoped a very fine crack down one front foot. A while later despite asking our farrier to treat it she started to go occasionally unlevel. After months of investigation it seem the crack was opening a minute amount when she lifted her foot and closing when she dropped it, pinching like a tight show would on us.
She had to have it cut out under sedation, pinned, glued, covered in tape stuff and bar shoes on. Both feet had to be done as a small similar crack had appeared.
the worst is yet to come, three farriers and two different vets all said it is caused by incorrect balancing of the hoof, so our damned farrier caused it.
Do not ignor this at your peril, our mare is now going out twice a week in the field but not for long as we don't want the bandage stuff to get soaked.
get a remedial farrier's opinion and sort it before you end up like us, our best competition horse off for 18 months.....

S_N

Visit site
I have to say, that HH's lovely mare was at the forefront of my mind when I initially replied to this post, but didn't like to say so, incase someone slated me for it. If she hadn't seen this and replied I was going to pm her about it for you!