Cracked heels

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
My beautiful todgie has got cracked heels and i was wanting a bit of information about it. they are on her back legs and are scabby and ewwy. One of them is quite swollen and she is lame on that leg. We have cleaned it and plastered cream of some kind on it to keep it clean and dry.

Any further advice?? and how long will it take them to clear??

thanks in advance!

Jemayni

Visit site
Isnt cracked heels just another name for Mud fever?

Mine get it alot. I try to keep them in for a few days which allows it to heal a bit. I also like putting pure aloe vera gel on it (from health shop.) It softens scabs, quickens healing, and soothes it!

pottamus

Visit site
Don't be tempted to keep washing it though...kepp it dry apart from putting antiseptic cream on it to softens any scabs...it will take a while to heal I am afraid so you need to be strict about treating it twice a day every day until signs of improvement appear. Also, make sure her bed stays dry and you take out the wet on a daily basis...no deep littering.

lusty

Visit site
My horse suffers with a similar skin problem, if the scabs get bad i rub baby oil on to loosen and soften the scabs, then i'll hibi scrub and towel dry then put on sudo-crem. i normally do this once a week to keep the scabs at bay!
smile.gif

JustKickOn

Visit site
have you tried camrosa oil?? apparently its really good! as i've heard off people. sudocreme is very good too. im no expert but i know they have good results

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
I've just had the vet out for this complaint. He advised me that riding in our sand school was a major cause so I know have to cover her heels and more importantly the bulb of the frog with sudocream or something simular.
Then once I#ve ridden wash it all off so the sand comes away, dry and cream her legs. I called him out just before christmas and know we are completly healed up.