Cracked Wintec Tree?

Tern

Visit site
I have just gone to replace my wintec gullet from a medium to a medium-wide. When I last changed the gullet there was no crack. The crack is about 5 inches long down the plastic bit under the pommel? The saddle has not been dropped and horse has not fallen onto it.

Can I get this replaced or do I need to dish out on a new saddle? (Which, really, I can't afford to do right now)
When I do the broken-tree test there is no sign it's broken. therefore I wouldn't have known if I hadn't changed the gullet. (Cantle on hip and pull towards you from pommel)

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I have just gone to replace my wintec gullet from a medium to a medium-wide. When I last changed the gullet there was no crack. The crack is about 5 inches long down the plastic bit under the pommel? The saddle has not been dropped and horse has not fallen onto it.

Can I get this replaced or do I need to dish out on a new saddle? (Which, really, I can't afford to do right now)
When I do the broken-tree test there is no sign it's broken. therefore I wouldn't have known if I hadn't changed the gullet. (Cantle on hip and pull towards you from pommel)
trees guaranteed for 10 years

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?716586-Wintec-saddle-repair-Surrey

Tegan

Visit site
You can get the tree replaced. My saddler replaced mine for me after my horse had an accident and rolled on it.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
That test for a broken tree is for the bars of the tree the seat part. It won't tell you about a broken pommel. I wouldn't bother getting the tree replaced on a synthetic saddle. If the tree has broken through wear and tear what other parts could be wearing out next.? Synthetics aren't like q decent leather saddle they're not designed to last forever.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've had 4 wintec saddles in my time and two of them have had cracked saddles! likewise they weren't dropped to my knowledge and the wintec people told me that as I didn't have any warranty it wouldn't be worth replacing the tree

Tern

Visit site
Don't worry. Saddler said it would be worth just getting a whole new saddle as other things are starting to go wrong with it like the gullet bar too.. So i'll be chucking it into the skip once I find another saddle!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Don't worry. Saddler said it would be worth just getting a whole new saddle as other things are starting to go wrong with it like the gullet bar too.. So i'll be chucking it into the skip once I find another saddle!

I'd not wait until you've found another saddle, I'd be chucking it in the bin now!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Oh, trust me, it's not going to be used ever again! :)

But i'll wait until my Father next makes a trip to the dump!

phhhheeewww! I didn't want to be rude and say don't use it hehe!

I was worried because when one of mine was broken my horses started rearing, which is how I realised there was an issue

Leo Walker

Visit site
Thank you! However, I have no clue how old the saddle is as it came with the mare 3 years ago and has always been visibly sound.

Took it to saddler today and it a write off so off to look for a new saddle!

I'd give them a ring and give them the serial number and they will tell you how old it is :)

Tern

Visit site
phhhheeewww! I didn't want to be rude and say don't use it hehe!

I was worried because when one of mine was broken my horses started rearing, which is how I realised there was an issue

Ah, don't worry! If I had known earlier I would have stopped using it but it's only because the crack is now visible when changing the gullet.

Horse hasn't changed which is what confused me.. however now I have taken the gullet out and it's sitting on the saddle stand you can see it is all wrong inside.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I had a small crack develop on a Wintec tree, my saddler spotted it before there were any noticeable problems with the horse and Wintec replaced the tree for free without question.

Tern makes a good point - I deliberately vandalise any dodgy stuff I chuck out to avoid exactly that kind of risk.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Would it be worth writing "broken tree" on the seat when putting it in the dump so no one tries to buy it out of the dump?

Take a stanley knife to it, really go to town on the seat and flaps, it's the only way to stop unscrupulous people re selling them on ebay.
When I dump saddles I do this and cut off the flaps, skirts and girth straps, Oz (Saddler)