Crank Nosebands

Andrew657

Visit site
Having decided that I need a new bridle am surprised to see so many come with crank nosebands.

What are the pros and cons. When are they appropriate/ inappropriate ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Some people hate them on principle. I use them happily on my horses that wear a cavesson noseband, just do them up to a normal tightness , there's no need to do them up tighter than normal.
I like the central jaw pads and the way they adjust equally from both sides. I read some research that showed the rings where the front attached to the jaw pad allowed more articulation than a standard cavesson.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I love them and think they are far neater looking and easy to evenly adjust and the padding against the horse's jaw can only be a good thing and mine is never done up any tighter than a normal caveson would be.

But I do agree with EKW above, why people seem to think a crank has to be levered as tight as possible is beyond me and of no help to the rider or the horse IMO.

But then there are many who like every gadget going used and set at its most severe and think that makes them look like a really cool rider coping on a very hard to ride horse - in reality it actually makes them look like a total ignorant gobshite who shouldn't even sit on a fence let alone a horse.