Craven Country Ride

Amye

Visit site
Who's done it?

I want to try and get my boy out a bit more. I don't have my own transport so would need to hire something and want to make the hire worthwhile!!

I've never taken him away from the yard for hacking and never done XC with him, I know a few people who have done craven and say it's great.

To anyone who's done it: What's it like doing it by yourself (if you have done)? Are the small fences quite inviting? I want nice confidence giving fences - at home he can be lazy sometimes and he might get a bit overwhelmed so want to have small things we can easily pop over so i'm not asking too much of him.

Are you allowed to have anyone walk around with you? Ilike to have someone on the ground as I've only ever taken him to a competition before - he may get over excited/over whelmed.

How spaced out are you? Can you see other horses in the distance? As I'm thinking about taking him alone I don't want him to see another horse and nap towards them!

As he's my first horse i'm slightly more nervous and I want our first experience to be a positive one so don't want to do anything too challenging..

I'm really just wanting to get him out and about and thought a farm ride with some jumps might be fun. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great too :)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Brilliant place !! Jumps have large and small option and last time I went they were mostly logs. You would be fine with a person on foot but I feel they would get left behind as there are lots of open fields for some good canters. Space - loads of it if you go on a non-themed day, ie avoid the Bank Holidays. Its open during the week so potentially you could have it mostly to yourself. Enjoy.....Somerford Park farm ride is nice too but Craven is definitely more spacious.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Brilliant place !! Jumps have large and small option and last time I went they were mostly logs. You would be fine with a person on foot but I feel they would get left behind as there are lots of open fields for some good canters. Space - loads of it if you go on a non-themed day, ie avoid the Bank Holidays. Its open during the week so potentially you could have it mostly to yourself. Enjoy.....Somerford Park farm ride is nice too but Craven is definitely more spacious.

Agree with this, have been to Craven Country Ride numerous times and Somerford twice, out of the two i prefer Craven, big open spaces, long uphill fields for a gallop. Each jump has a small, medium & large jump, nicely spread out. I have been in my own with my horse with my hubbie on foot and it was fine.

Somerford is good but the going is flat and on a sandy track, not as many jumps and not any that I recall of the same jump but differing heights.

Go Craven on a weekday and it will be lovely & quiet. Nice kitchen with aga for a brew and a jar home made biscuits (for a donation) after your ride.