Crazy mental or just go for it???

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Short Version

To do Thorton Watlass in 3 weeks having never done a BE before. My 18 yo is feeling pretty good at the moment and is sailing over our 3'-3'3" xc course with batting an eye. SJ is fine, I just need to man it up a bit over 90cm courses! Dressage always a work in progress but will have some intensive lessons before hand. Fitness is fairly good and, of course, would work on that more to ensure he'd be OK.

Long Version

I have long had an ambition to enter a BE event, but sadly it's just something that has never quite come together for us due to injury and transport issues. We've done unaffaliated over the years including MK3DE twice , but nothing since last June where we came 2nd at 75cm ODE which was our first in 5 years!

Recently I've been thinking about doing the 90cm at Northallerton in Aug and hiring some transport. However, I know from here a lot of people think that Richmond is a fairly straightforward but as this is the week before Northallertonwas debating this as a "ah just go for it".

Another option
I was talking to my YO this morning asking what she thought as her daughter does a lot of BE and she offered to take me with her to Thornton Watlass at the end of July. It's a little sooner than I had thought about but an opportunity to go without the expense of hiring transport.

As my horse has just turned 18 I feel this year might be the last year we'll have a chance do to this before we both feel too old (I'm not exactly 24 anymore!). I've had a look at last years course photographs and there isn't anything there that I think no way to.

So is this a crazy mental idea or should I just go for it (assuming I can get in at this stage on a day ticket and this would include grovelling to the entries folks and offering to help next day).

Opinions gratefully received even those telling me to book myself into the nearest clinic for a mental health assessment :p

avthechav

Visit site
Why not? Sounds like you have thought about this and want to do it, it also sounds like its well within your and the horses capabilities. I have no knowledge of this event and so dont know what the course is like but it can't be any bigger than the maxiumum dimentions so as long as you are ok with them.....

Just make sure that you go wanting a nice day and with realistic expectations, and if you and the horse are fit I think you should GO FOR IT!!!:D

...you must post some pretty pics afterwards tho!

AandK

Visit site
Of course you're mental, you have to be to want to event!!! ;)

Seriously though, I reckon you should go for it for sure!! And make sure you let us know how you get on!! :)

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Just make sure that you go wanting a nice day and with realistic expectations, and if you and the horse are fit I think you should GO FOR IT!!!:D

...you must post some pretty pics afterwards tho!

It most definately would be for the lovely day out. Just have finally entered and hopefully completed a BE would be realising a long held ambition. :D A clear XC would be an absolute bonus -not bothered about the dressage and SJ!! I just need to work out how to enter on a day ticket on the BE system and that I can get in. Also that I can persaude OH to swap shifts that day to come along with the camera to get a pic/video or two!

avthechav

Visit site
It most definately would be for the lovely day out. Just have finally entered and hopefully completed a BE would be realising a long held ambition. :D A clear XC would be an absolute bonus -not bothered about the dressage and SJ!! I just need to work out how to enter on a day ticket on the BE system and that I can get in. Also that I can persaude OH to swap shifts that day to come along with the camera to get a pic/video or two!

Hurrah- decision made then!...Think that you firstly buy your day ticket through BE then enter and give your ticket number on your entry...there must be an idiot proof guide there somewhere coz I managed it!!:D