Crazy remedies ...

lrw0250

Visit site
Human as opposed to horses but I was told by my health visitor to put my breast milk on anything that needed healed up just after I gave birth. I used it on the baby when she got a septic finger nail and it cleared it right up. I also wore cabbage leaves in my bra when I got mastitis on her advice - I think she was quite old school!

My granny also used to put the metal door key on the back of the neck for a nosebleed. Its something to do with the cold iron of old fashioned keys constricting the blood supply.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Those are western medicine treatments for ringworm with excellent evidence base - so hardly crazy. As for vonjunctivitis cooled boiled water is the best supportive treatment for common conjunctivitis so cold tea is pretty similar really .

You say it's hardly crazy but the people I've mentioned it to have completely blown up and berated anyone who wouldnt phone the vet and not use their stuff

Elbie

Visit site
I read some 'advice' the other day that numerous human ailments could be cured by honey and cinnamon. Including cancer, cured by eating a teaspoon of each mixed together every day. What the...

Ah and there we are spending millions on cancer research when we just had to open the kitchen cabinet!

Karran

Visit site
Oh no I didn't mean just chuck it in before getting a vet out for proper check, I was just trying to put some reasoning behind the idea of peppermint tea!

asterope

Visit site
Human as opposed to horses but I was told by my health visitor to put my breast milk on anything that needed healed up just after I gave birth. I used it on the baby when she got a septic finger nail and it cleared it right up. I also wore cabbage leaves in my bra when I got mastitis on her advice - I think she was quite old school!

Using breast milk to fight infections/sterilise wounds appears to be quite common - I had an anthropology lecturer who carried out fieldwork in Mali while breastfeeding and was asked by a boy with conjunctivitis to squirt breastmilk into his eye! She did it and said it was common there for breastfeeding women to be approached by people wanting infections treating and no Malian women batted at eyelid at it.

pennyturner

Visit site
Breast milk contains a large amount of infection-fighting white blood cells, so there is some logic in the use of it to treat an eye infection.