Creaky joints and stirrups

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This post is a cry for help really....
So, on my left leg I have an arthritic knee and also something wrong with my ankle. I've never ridden in anything other than standard heavy old fashioned irons, so I have no idea what technological marvels there might be available to alleviate some of the pain.
I ride with long stirrups (partly my riding style, partly to stop the knee hurting), in case that makes a difference as to style of stirrup. After about 20 mins of riding my ankle starts to get painful.
Any suggestions?
TIA

Cowpony

Visit site
I use the shock absorbing stirrups from Shadow Horse. They aren't cheap but they definitely work for my knee, which has a repaired ACL. You don't notice them being any different while riding, but when you get off you realise you aren't in pain!

CPayne

Visit site
MDC ultimate, they have a swivel top so you can have them hang normally, or at 45 or 90 degrees. They also have the same flexible sides like Spreger. Really helped with my knees. Good luck.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
See what you can borrow before you go splurging because lots of the fancy stirrups are quite spendy :)

I don't like flexi ones that much, have tried lots of different kinds but my joints are all hypermobile and I find they make me even more wibbly wobbly. What I *really* like is a wide footplate that lots of the aluminium stirrups have. I find that feels stable underfoot,makes me feel more still in the saddle and also stops the balls of my feet hurting :eek:

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have hypermobility, and I prefer flexi stirrups! I find I don't try to "brace" myself against them because they won't allow me to!

I have Sprenger System 4 stirrups - three pairs now, one for each saddle/horse!! The first pair was full price for my 16th birthday (I'm 30 this year!) and they are still in regular use, the second two pairs were second hand from ebay/forum sales.

teapot

Visit site
See what you can borrow before you go splurging because lots of the fancy stirrups are quite spendy :)

I don't like flexi ones that much, have tried lots of different kinds but my joints are all hypermobile and I find they make me even more wibbly wobbly. What I *really* like is a wide footplate that lots of the aluminium stirrups have. I find that feels stable underfoot,makes me feel more still in the saddle and also stops the balls of my feet hurting :eek:

Was going to say flexis are great IF you don't have hyper-mobile joints, know a couple of people who struggle with them. If you don't, can recommend Sprengers.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's funny how we're all so different. .. Def try before you buy if you can op. It's great that there are so many options these days :)

CrazyMare

Visit site
It's funny how we're all so different. .. Def try before you buy if you can op. It's great that there are so many options these days :)

Thankfully there are so many options to try!

I definitely agree with try before you buy, lots of people have tried my stirrups and either fallen in love or absolutely hated them!

I ride in very flat jump saddles every day, I sometimes wonder if that alters the kind of stirrup that is favoured too?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Yes...I have to admit that I thought I would be able to just pop online and find the perfect solution to all my problems, then became utterly overwhelmed in all of 5 minutes with the different options...

Hmm, probably see what I can beg and borrow then. Flexi style ones sound ideal, but if they don't really help with loose joints then that may cause problems with the hip on that side that is prone to popping out.....sigh.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a whole new left leg.

Thanks for the suggestions though, really helps to hear some pros and cons

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I think to start with changing to stirrups with a wide footbed will really help. A friend of mine has terrible knee arthritis as well as foot problems and she tried some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-REFLEX-Wide-track-Stirrups/dp/B002HPNBMU and they provided a lot more support and her pain was much less. They're also a lot cheaper than the Sprenger types so it's not great loss if they don't help!

Fruitcake

Visit site
I have hypermobility and used to have real problems with locking my joints to stabilise them with normal stirrups.

After trying some cheap flexi ones and finding a real difference, my OH bought me some Sprenger ones for my birthday a couple of years ago. I absolutely love them. They really help with my hypermobile ankles and hips as they stop me from locking and bracing and allow my joints to stay loose. I did find, at first, that I lost my stirrups at times (I'd obviously been keeping them previously through bracing to some extent).

I don't use standard stirrups at all now. Even take mine off when I ride OH's horse!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
OK, wide footbed and lightweight seems to be a general improvement idea, and then I'll try to borrow some flexi type to see if I get on with them.
Thanks again all.

sallyg

Visit site
Don't spend a lot of money without trying Compositi Reflex stirrups, I found them from another post on here, they have made such a difference to my bad knee and are about 20 quid!

Merlod

Visit site
I am very old fashioned and have always ridden in a two bar stirrup! I struggle with knee pain on longer/ fast rides so I decided to put appearence aside and try the compositi premium stirrups, they are just plastic stirrups with a really thick rubber tread.

They have been a life safer and are soo comfortable. I can't beleive just a cheap stirrup made such a difference. I have them on my GP saddle and use them for hacking, jump, xc funrides etc. I've also noticed my feet don't get so cold in the winter.

I still have my smart two bars on my dressage saddle though!