Creating a rounder shape in canter

CrazyHippo1

Visit site
Big appologises if I've posted in the wrong place
confused.gif
Wasn't sure where to put this...

When I first got my mare she didn't "do" an outline, she didn't power from behind and she had a bit of an upside down neck! Many months of schooling later she's looking a lot better, theres still bits and pieces to work on (left bend!!) but our trot is pretty much sorted...
p14007.jpg

so on to canter which is our weakest gait and is the one we get most comments about on our dressage sheets!

In canter she is less balanced and comes above the bit. I can give a half halt and collect her up, then allow her to travel forwards and she will hold a rounder shape for say half a circle then come above the bit.

So help? What am I doing wrong and how can we begin to work on this? Any exercises? Going large is hopeless lol, circles she is rounder on but she's not yet balanced to do anything smaller than a 20m. So tips on getting her rounder, and more importantly more balanced!

Thank you
smile.gif

Oh and I do have lessons lol and I'm hoping to begin some more "intense" dressage sessions with a new trainer, but was looking for some other fresh ideas xx

tigers_eye

Visit site
Does she know how to move away from the leg? Try leg-yielding across to the long side in trot then canter in a straight line, then bring her back to trot before she loses it. I have a gangley large 6yo who at the moment says "WHAT? you want me to do WHAT with my hindquarters? Put them UNDER me???", today I was making him leg-yield on a circle in walk and trot - purists may not agree, but I find it helps as a first step in getting them to realise they can stratch their hindlegs underneath themselves and so take more weight behind. At the end I asked for canter on a circle and got a really fabulous one (not asking for quarters out, that would be much too difficult).

KatB

Visit site
Keeping the canter work on a circle, and in short bursts has been working for my boy. Also (nad I disagreed with the trainer that got me doing this to start with, but it has worked) is doign lots and lots of walk/canter transitions to really get him stretching under with his hind legs. It has really helped our engagement, and that combined with loads of transitions is really really helping. Also, putting 4 ploes in a "cross" and cantering a circle over them makes them look where they are going, and gets them to round their backs and engage. Hope that helps!!
smile.gif

DressageChick

Visit site
I would only canter for short bursts, staying on a circle and would ride with low wide hands, which will place the bit on the bars of her mouth and encourage her to lower her head and work in a rounder.

CrazyHippo1

Visit site
Thank you for the advice, getting her balanced is the big one for now, actually did some of the exercises you guys suggested tonight, leg yeilding out a circle was lovely. We're both a bit rusty with it but you could see the difference as she stretched through her back.

Going to pop some small jumps tomorrow and try the pole exercise you suggested KatB tomorrow so will see what she thinks of that!

Thank you again
smile.gif
xx