Creosote

Skyebald

Visit site
How safe is it for ponies to be around newly creosoted field shelter.. I really need to treat mine and have a 3 month old foal with no where to keep him out of the way so a bit cautious.

Both my mares like to rub against the front of it at the moment too so am guessing that's not ideal until it has time to dry ?

Surreydeb

Visit site
I have always waited for 2 weeks before putting them back in. You can't buy/ use creosote now unless you have training and are qualified. What you buy now is creocote

Surreydeb

Visit site
Stupid I phone hadn't finished! What you buy now is creocote and I guess it is far less dangerous but I haven't used this so read instructions carefully.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
You can still buy it online just google it. I bought some last week and it was delivered to the door. My post and rails have electric fence as well so used it and turned out that evening

Skyebald

Visit site
I've already bought it and it says creosote on the tin, bought it from a local agri store :confused:.
I assumed it wasn't like the original creosote because I've also been told you couldn't get it.....

I'll have to tape the shelter off for a while I guess to be safe

mirage

Visit site
It can take weeks to dry properly.My YO used some in September and a month later it was still sticky in patches.Knobberpony decided to rub her face on ours an hour before she was due to the Opening Meet,and had streaks of it all down her nose.Luckily Aldi babywipes removed it.She suffered no ill effects from it.

PennyJ

Visit site
I think you'd be best taping off the field shelter to keep them away from it.
I bought proper creosote, no questions asked from our local country store, but then they do know me and what I would be using it for (doing the fence and stables). Perhaps there is a special dispensation for smallholders or something? I did check to see if I needed to get someone else with the "right" certificate to buy it for me, but they said I didn't need to do that.