cresty necks in Winter

Tapir

Visit site
I have a companion pony on loan from a rescue assoc. When she arrived in June she had a really hard cresty neck and has had laminitis in the past. She's been getting a magnesium supplement to see if that helped get rid of her neck and today I noticed there's definitely a difference, it's much smaller and softer. But, is this just due to the fact that it's now Winter and she's getting hardly any grass or could this be a permanent improvement?

I've never had a pony with a neck like this before and I'm wondering if it will all just come back in the Spring when the grass starts coming through again. I don't know whether to be happy with the improvement or if it's not down to any management just a lack of grass.

swilliam

Visit site
I think it will be because there's less grass. A cresty neck can often be a sign of imminent laminitis - i check my natives' necks religiously in the spring and autumn especially, and they diet if they're cresty. So it's a good thing. Never heard of using a magnesium supplement for it though.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you allow her free access to good spring grass I'd be sure it would come back no problem! From as early as end Feb (depending on weather) you'll need to restrict grass access (strip graze/ muzle/ leave in for many hours etc. whichever suits your management set up)

Lotty

Visit site
I do as swilliam has suggested. My mare had a bout of lami 3 years ago and I watch her weight like a hawk and also condition score. I always weigh & soak her hay and she is always turned out with a muzzle on. I feed my girl magnesium ox, I mix it in with 1 x cup of fast fibre when she's stabled on a night. I buy mine from here http://www.naturalhorsesupplies.co....84-Magnesium+Oxide+%28Heavy%29+900g++%A31299/

Tapir

Visit site
we are her third loan home and apparently she has always had this cresty neck but hasn't had laminitis since she was rescued quite a few years ago. We strip graze very strictly almost all year round and only have very thin soil cover on our fields meaning that we never really get lots of grass - the rescue centre thought our management and land would be ideal for her. I'd love for her neck to stay like it is now or improve more but don't want to be hugely disappointed if it comes back in Spring.

ETA we weigh tape every two weeks to keep an eye on her and my other good doer. Also we are experienced in dealling with fatties as all of our other ponies have been native/cob types so we understand how to keep the weight off as much as possible but non have ever had cresty necks.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a mare that gets cresty and looked really overweight in summer, I also put her on mag ox and I noticed a real difference, I have also changed her diet very low sugar and starch, I will also be very carefull with the spring grass, I am having her bloods done in January as it could be cushings or IR as someone else has said, and I would rather know whats going on better to be safe than sorry.

Bertolie

Visit site
This horse is Insulin Resistant, treat it like it has permanent laminitis.

My 19 year old horse has a big crest, he is not and never has been insulin resistant. He has never had laminitis. He also tested negative for Cushings.

A large crest does not necessarily mean the horse is IR. Even when my horse lost a lot of weight/condition one winter he never lost his crest. My vet and nutritionist have said it is mainly due to his breed, but I do monitor it by using an ordinary tape measure to determine variations in his weight.

PandorasJar

Visit site
My 19 year old horse has a big crest, he is not and never has been insulin resistant. He has never had laminitis. He also tested negative for Cushings.

A large crest does not necessarily mean the horse is IR. Even when my horse lost a lot of weight/condition one winter he never lost his crest. My vet and nutritionist have said it is mainly due to his breed, but I do monitor it by using an ordinary tape measure to determine variations in his weight.

I've had a horse in the past with a naturally big crest, known in breed. However if a magnesium supplement has affected the crest I'd sway away from it being connected to breed and more IR as the two are very much connected and with a history of laminitis.

CobsGalore

Visit site

Interesting. What breed is your horse?

Tapir

Visit site
I'm aware that she may be insulin resistant and we do control her grazing - I'm not asking about that, how to keep her weight down or how to manage her. This pony has not had laminitis in the last 5 years despite having a big cresty neck all that time. She came from the rescue centre with the cresty neck - they hadn't managed to get rid of it and told us it was always like that.

All I wanted to know is if anyone else who has a pony with a very cresty neck finds that it goes up and down depending on the season even if their weight remains constant.

Bertolie

Visit site
Interesting. What breed is your horse?

He is Welsh D x TB but definitely more Welsh! I'm a novice horse owner so not really into breeds but both my vet and nutritionist have said a lot of it is down to his breed. I'm ready to be corrected :D

I do watch and worry about his crest, but I have owned him for 5 years and its never been any different. He is definitely carrying a little more weight than I would like but I haven't been able to exercise him properly for about 3 months (saddle issues and now he has a large haematoma that makes exercising him sore). Even when he is a perfect 5 on the 0-9 body condition score he still has a huge crest!

Bertolie

Visit site
I'm aware that she may be insulin resistant and we do control her grazing - I'm not asking about that, how to keep her weight down or how to manage her. This pony has not had laminitis in the last 5 years despite having a big cresty neck all that time. She came from the rescue centre with the cresty neck - they hadn't managed to get rid of it and told us it was always like that.

All I wanted to know is if anyone else who has a pony with a very cresty neck finds that it goes up and down depending on the season even if their weight remains constant.

My horse's crest will flucuate depending on how much grass is available - so I suppose it is season related. I use an ordinary tape measure and measure his neck once a fortnight to monitor his weight. He doesn't put weight on around the girth area so a weigh tape is useless, and monitoring his neck measurement means I can restrict grazing when necessary.

Tapir

Visit site
My horse's crest will flucuate depending on how much grass is available - so I suppose it is season related. I use an ordinary tape measure and measure his neck once a fortnight to monitor his weight. He doesn't put weight on around the girth area so a weigh tape is useless, and monitoring his neck measurement means I can restrict grazing when necessary.

thank you :)

we have been measuring her neck but it's not easy to measure exactly the same place and angle everytime

PandorasJar

Visit site
He is Welsh D x TB but definitely more Welsh! I'm a novice horse owner so not really into breeds but both my vet and nutritionist have said a lot of it is down to his breed. I'm ready to be corrected :D

I do watch and worry about his crest, but I have owned him for 5 years and its never been any different. He is definitely carrying a little more weight than I would like but I haven't been able to exercise him properly for about 3 months (saddle issues and now he has a large haematoma that makes exercising him sore). Even when he is a perfect 5 on the 0-9 body condition score he still has a huge crest!

Welsh Ds quite often have a cresty neck... which quite often links to IR (blood tests are not 100% accurate and regularly give false negatives) it's been bred into them. They are possibly the most common breed to have this. Thankfully none of my crosses have cresty necks.

PandorasJar

Visit site

we have been measuring her neck but it's not easy to measure exactly the same place and angle everytime

I'd use something that doesn't change, a different coloured hair or even dab some iodine or other dye on her hair and just keep touching up. Do it on both sides and the angle will always be the same (if you do the shallowest point to it with tape flat).

In regards to crest changing size, yes, our liveries little pony was very managed (starvation paddock with hay and exercise) and regularly checked as crest could shoot up before body changed shape. Don't relax though as our grass is still growing (rather amazingly well atm) and the frost is out, so don't connect this to seasons but rather when and how the grass is growing.

Bertolie

Visit site
Welsh Ds quite often have a cresty neck... which quite often links to IR (blood tests are not 100% accurate and regularly give false negatives) it's been bred into them. They are possibly the most common breed to have this. Thankfully none of my crosses have cresty necks.

Thank you for the information - I didn't know that they are more prone to IR.

We do monitor him and he will be tested again should the vet feel its necessary. A friend at the yard has a Highland x who is IR so I know what signs etc to be looking out for.

Bertolie

Visit site

I am quite lucky in that my horse has a profits thumb mark on the side of his neck so I use that as a guide.

Maybe put a small plait in her mane and use that as a guide?

Pale Rider

Visit site
If it has a huge crest it isn't IR yet. The only way to get rid of it is to treat the horse like a lamanitic.
If it's one of the freaky shapes, it may well have a predisposition for IR as they were the examples bred from to get the freaky shape.

michellerushmer

New User
Visit site

My boy just had insulin blood test as crest has grown.. recovered from laminitis. Insulin back as 5 !!! Not got cushings or ems .. his crest has just grown. He's still on soaked hay ..