Cresty pony!

AmberThePony

Visit site
This week my full loan mare will be moving to my house which is very exciting, hopefully the owner will be sorting out a home for the companion pony as well. I have ended up taking on full care of the companion pony who is a lively 21yr old welsh sec a mare, she has had laminitis in the past and so I have tried really hard to keep her healthy. She is on restricted grazing with a small handful of chaff and half a slice of hay In the evenings. About five days a week I lunge her in walk, trot and canter for 15-20 minutes. She gets quite sweaty working so has a blanket clip and doesn't wear any rugs currently. The problem I have had is that despite being able to just see her ribs her crest is huge and lumpy, you can wobble it from side to side and its slightly squishy. She doesn't have fat deposits anywhere else but its such an eyesore and I don't really know how I can get rid of it, I probably wont be able to see/work her after this week and I just hope her loan home keeps her in regular work. But I would just like to see what other horsey people think about this?

Sparemare

Visit site
I think a large crest can be the last to go, when you're trying to get the weight down. Does she have any other health issues?

Fiona

Visit site
Even when you can feel our chestnut pony's ribs, he still has a crest...

He wasn't worked at all before we got him, so I agree that it's probably the last bit to go if pony has been v fat esp for a prolonged period in the past...

Fiona

AmberThePony

Visit site
Even when you can feel our chestnut pony's ribs, he still has a crest...

He wasn't worked at all before we got him, so I agree that it's probably the last bit to go if pony has been v fat esp for a prolonged period in the past...

Fiona

That's annoying! She was bought by the owner as a child's pony but the kids show/ed no commitment or consistent interest. So I think before I knew her she would have been hardly worked, I do remember the owner telling me they hadn't actually realized when she got laminitis she Just apparently got very fat without them noticing. So perhaps that is the root of it?

Tapir

Visit site
My companion pony is the same - visible ribs but a cresty neck. It's usually wobbly and I know to take extra care when it gets harder.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Does she have Cushings?

Of the horses I have known, the crest has only gone on the prescription of Peroglide (Prascend). There is a horse on our yard whose Cushings score was 800+ (faints). She had a huge, huge crest. She's not worked as she has been retired with spavins in both hocks, but the crest has gone in 4 weeks of Prascend.