Cresty Pony

pistolpete

Visit site
None of my business really but where I keep my retired boy there’s a gorgeous little cob cross. He’s 17 and gets ridden once or twice a week max. He came over for a scratch yesterday and his crest is huge and rock hard. Anyone else got a cresty pony this time of year? Do some just have big hard crests all the time and are ok? If I remember I think he’s been like it most of the summer but I am amazed he’s still has it. There is grass in their field. My boys crest is still there but it’s nice and soft. Really hoping he drops some weight before spring proper.

SEL

Visit site
I'd be worried if any of mine had a rock solid crest right now - & that includes my cut-late Ardennes who has a huge neck typical of the breed. My Appy has always had a crest on her but going solid is an indication of hormone issues with her - which did put her at risk of EMS. Cushings or frosty grass sugar would be worrying me.

holeymoley

Visit site
It's been really mild so far this Winter, there's still some goodness in the grass for the natives, or anything already too fat or metabolically compromised. A hard crest is very worrying.

Boulty

Visit site
Hard crest is never good. Have resorted to fully clipping & lightly rugging (did cave & put a 100g on today as only just above zero & freezing fog) the fuzzball as it's been so mild he just isn't losing any weight at all & is measuring about 40kg heavier on weigh tape than this time last year ?. His crest is very much still there but is soft. Mind you the little pony in his field had a hard crest & was quite fat at end of last Summer & nothing came of it & she came out of last winter on the ribby side & I don't think she got as far this year. (Another year older I guess!)

pistolpete

Visit site
Hard crest is never good. Have resorted to fully clipping & lightly rugging (did cave & put a 100g on today as only just above zero & freezing fog) the fuzzball as it's been so mild he just isn't losing any weight at all & is measuring about 40kg heavier on weigh tape than this time last year ?. His crest is very much still there but is soft. Mind you the little pony in his field had a hard crest & was quite fat at end of last Summer & nothing came of it & she came out of last winter on the ribby side & I don't think she got as far this year. (Another year older I guess!)
Highlands take ‘good doer’ to a new level!