Crib Biting

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Sorry i wasn't sure where to put this so I hope it's ok in here?

I have a friend with a three yr old pony that has recently (in the past couple pf months) started Crib biting really badly. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it?

Should she reprimand or not?
Vet or not?
Cures?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Out as much as possible but has to be in on a night

Edited to say: it is cribbing in and out of the stable and almost constantly now
crazy.gif

Eriskayowner

Visit site
My sister's first pony used to wind suck really badly. He had to be kept in isolation (only because one other livery owner kicked up a fuss) but I've never known the behaviour to be copied by other horses.

He did wear a collar at times, but I hated putting it on him - his head dropped and looked soooooo depressed that we used to feel guilty. He was worse around feed times and when he was stressed, but it never did his teeth or digestive system any harm at all.

Apparently the behaviour started when he was at the stud where he was bred, and his best friend died when they were both age 3 - so it became his kind of comfort blanket.

cellie

Visit site
We moved to new yard which was post and rail my horse started cribbing and yo told me to paint all the posts with creosote.It stopped him in his tracks they hate the smell.Our stables have metal doors so this was never a problem.

cellie

Visit site
There is a product from global herbs to help stop windsucking and cribbing.My friend has just started using it but only recently.She also uses a collar which is working .It has also been suggested that the type of feed that they are on can make a difference.The collar stopped windsucking immediately
grin.gif

cellie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It can be an indication of pain from stomach ulcers.
Have a chat with your vet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think this was the case with my horse he was anxious when he moved yards .Now hes settled he only goes to fence at coming in times and feed times.Not sure if you intended post for me or op.
grin.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Thanks for your replies.

I too have heard it can be caused by stomach ulcers. Does anyone know of any products to help with this? Has anyone used Coligone as a cure for it?

We are anxious to avoid a repeat of another pony that used to be at my old yard that cribbed on her door which had a metal strip on it. The strip had a mouth shaped hole in it down to the wood
crazy.gif
and all the ponies teeth were worn on the back.
crazy.gif
It was horrid.

It is such a sad behaviour to see in such a young pony I think.
frown.gif

teddyt

Visit site
You shouldnt reprimand, nor wear a collar. In the mjority of cases it is due to stomach ulcers. The horse cribs to soothe the pain, it is thought to produce endorphins as well as saliva to buffer acid. Hence using a collar is actually cruel, because the horse cant help relieve the pain himself.
Ulcers can start in foals, usually when they are weaned abruptly, which is common practice. Cereals/mixes also cause them. It is more common for a horse to crib at feed time because in anticipation of feed the stomach produces acid, this attacks the lining of the stomach and causes ulcers. A huge percentage of racehorses (90%+) have been shown to have them and the incidence is high in competition horses too (60%+). Periods without food also allows acid to attack stomach.
As for a cure the horse needs to be on a high fibre diet, no cereals. Feed little and often and not be without food for more than 2 hours. At this time of year if there is not much grass then the horse needs hay when out in the field.
More info:
http://www.rockenhayne.com/page6.html
Although there are other causes of cribbing it is more than likely to be ulcers. A vet can endoscope the horse for an accurate diagnosis

cellie

Visit site
Im now going to print of your info sheet and pass it on to friend.Her horse has hay in the field I put extra out for him during the day plus he has it ad lib in stable .She has changed his feed and has put him on global herbs product .She will try anything so will probably give herbs a go.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Hi,

I have a crib biter (ex-racer). You could use a collar, but they can cause rub marks, so get the fleece covers for the collar (Ebay).
Take the horse off any mix feeds, and put on cube type feeds (my mare is on A&P Calm & Condition Cubes) Always make sure it has something to munch on, and if it has suddenly started doing it, maybe an idea to involve vet, check for ulcers etc.