Cribbing Foal

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
A friend has just rung me to ask how much she should sell her foal for. I couldnt put a value on it as it cribs.
It's a very correct foal out of a TB mare by a Donnerhall line dressage stallion. As far as I'm aware the foal has cribbed since at least 8 weeks of age - for whatever reason - the mare doesnt.
Foal is coming upto weaning and she would like to sell it

a) Would anyone buy a foal that cribs
b) what value would you put on such a foal
c) would you investigate possible causes of the cribbing first

Would appreciate anyone's comments on here as I've never had to deal with a cribbing foal.

Thanks

millimoo

Visit site
I don't have experience, however a friend bought a stunning Warmblood foal on the cheap because he cribbed....

As he got older, he became more prone to colic, and she ultimately lost him before he was 3yrs old to said Colic.

Is the foal definitely cribbing? and not just being a mouthy baby?
I'm sure you'll get some better replies than me, but I would be checking the foal physically to ensure there is nothing treatable going on.

And would I buy a cribber - no, not by choice, unless it was exceptional in every other way, but I wouldn't pay market rate

jomiln

The foal is definately cribbing well established at it now!!! I saw mare & foal at 4 weeks old & no sign of cribbing a month later it was cribbing. Not sure if being an only mare & foal hasnt helped. They were at stud for a few weeks running with others (foal was cribbing before going to stud) but rest of time he's had no other foals to play with.

My feeling would be to investigate it but not sure friend will she seems intent that she's selling him.

jomiln

She may think she is selling him (-: Might be able to give away but would supect most people wouldwant it investigating further.

My thoughts exactly - there are some really nice foals out there without problems available at very reasonable prices with someone thinking of spending a lot on a foal with a problem - the figure she's come up as a value even with the cribbing is quite laughable!!!!

crabbymare

Visit site
Its possible that he had a small stomach or ulcer type problem at birth that had she been able to have him checked out then or as soon as he was seen to crib would have been sorted out but now I would not want to touch him however well bred he is :(

oldywoldy

Visit site
Very unusual - I would want to rule out ulcers causing stress etc which can cause this type of behaviour. Usually a foal will pick it up from a mare if the mare is a cribber/windsucker etc. something must have caused the foal to start - not ideal being brought up on his own. I think your friend will have a lot of trouble selling it unless she is very sensible with the price and the buyer is prepared to take a risk - ie keep the foal in a field with other foals with nothing it can windsuck on and hope that it forgets!

wonder

Visit site
I would investigate an ulcer we have one here who lost his mum long story was grinding his teeth as he had a ulcer has been on a paste for 3 weeks one syringe to go and the grinding has stopped. Well worth checking a foal at a young age as it may be possible to sort it.