*cries* Any daredevils wanna clip Ellie?

EllieBeast

Visit site
Well, we had our second attempt at clipping my beast today. after trying with acp and failing about a month ago we decided to try again today. Ell has always had a true fear of clippers, but we managed to clip her fully without sedation last year, so i thought that we had made a breakthrough. Hmm, maybe not! i have been working with her for the past 3 weeks, she will now happily let me take hair off from anywere on her body using my Element trimmers, and is not bothered by the sound of the clippers next door when the other horses were being done (stables only separated by a grill at the top). but she just flipped when they tried to clip her. we ended up twitching her and only did a bib clip, as we didnt want the twitch on for too long. The problem is, she has a massive winter coat, and is sweating like a pig (even with the bib off) so this seems pointless. the plan is to keep re-clipping every couple of weeks and taking the line higher each time, but she is just far too hot, and i have a lot of competitions lined up - we have two rounds of xc next sunday, she's going to end up like a used tea-towel.
Sorry, i had to vent my childish frustrations over something that is no-ones fault. cookies for you all. and kitkats if you have any suggestions!
Sarah

monica123

Visit site
thats a good idea making the line higher each time, is there something she REALLY likes, like a special lick or somthing, a p[ony i tried HATES clippers, but will stand there in a daze if she has her special lick! maybe give her a feed or someting and do it then?
sorry, im not much help

EllieBeast

Visit site
Good idea, but Ellie is just too worried about the clippers to eat - i have tried. the idea of moving the line is a good one, however it will take months to do a full hunter clip - which she needs as she is in a lot of work, she also lives out so it is a real pain to dry and cool her off with her massive coat before i turn her out. so i really need most of it off very soon. its just a pain in the ar*e.
*oh the frustration*
Sarah

maddielove

Visit site
maddie is clipped under sedation as she's just plain dangerous otherwise.

before we did this it worked slightly if she had her head on my dad's shoulder so she couldn;t see what was going on..sort of worked.

maybe you could try a full sedation[big injection?] if all else fails!

monica123

Visit site
maybe, if you cross tie her? would that make any difference?? gosh, i remember i had to do that with a 12.2 pony just to put suncream on!!! but back to ellie, oo...im called ellie
tongue.gif
lol, ummm.....sedation is probs the quickest way, and safest but im sure there is a way without sedation!

samerlin

Visit site
what about putting a heavy blanket or something that will block out light over her eyes/head. in general if a horse cannot see instinct makes them stand still. I usually use this method but sometimes a horse may need slight sedation too.
just a thought

loopeepee

Visit site
Sarah, with every respect in the world for getting as far as you have with her, but why do you no just knock her out and get it over and done with?
We have tried and tried with Sulli to do it without sedation, but he has none of it - he begins to get dangerous. He is terrified, and not pratting around. Therefore its the nicest thing to do, IMO anyway.
I know its expensive to get the vet out and then pay for the shot as well, but at least it will be over and done with, and less painful for you and her!!

EllieBeast

Visit site
You know what Lou, i think i have already come to that decision. she is genuinely terrified, and she needs clipping soon. i can always carry on with the training once she is clipped - at least there wont be any pressure then! its just so frustrating that we managed last year without half the trouble of this year - and nothing untoward happened to make her more worried. Hmph, will have to warn my bank account!
does anyone know how long after a vet- sedation a horse can be ridden?
Sarah

_jetset_

Visit site
Sarah, I am in this situation too at the moment. My new horse is just terrified of the clippers and ended up breaking some today because if it. I am going to try sedalin with her next week (she has half her body off at the moment). I am in the same frame of mind that I need to get her hair off, and then can train her afterwards.

EllieBeast

Visit site
aww, im sorry that you have to cope with this too! its not like i havent tried! 3 weeks of training twice a day with her, and she is still petrified. unfortuanately, sedalin contains acp, which has booger all effect on Ellie whilst she is as fit as she currently is, so my only route seems to be IV drugs. thankfully, with careful management, she only needs one clip per winter, so i will have lots of time to get her accustomed
crazy.gif

Sarah

loopeepee

Visit site
Awesome!
Sulli was clipped in the late afternoon, and ridden the next evening. It would have been the morning, had I'd been riding but sister was after school! x

EllieBeast

Visit site
Okey Dokey, will chat with clipping person tomorrow. i suppose im just a bit peeved, as i have just wasted two weeks for nothing.... dammit no i havent, we can always try again, and at least i can now do her feathers with my trimmers, instead of scissors. *must stay positive*
its not like she is the horse from hell, in fact im pretty lucky that her only major problem is that she wont be clipped. Slap me round the face please someone!!!
crazy.gif

Sarah

EllieBeast

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
how about a comb and a pair pf scissors!! will take you forever but she will be clipped... well sort of!

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL, have you seen the pics of her in the gallery? by the time id finished my scissors would be blunt, and it would be winter again
tongue.gif

Sarah

_jetset_

Visit site
Sarah... I know exactly how you feel, LOL! Grace has never been clipped before in her life, so I thought the first ten minutes were too good to be true! Just praying sedalin will work. If not, the next one is the vet coming out!

EllieBeast

Visit site
lol, aw bless her. the first time el was clipped whilst i had her (nearly 5 yrs ago
blush.gif
) you could visibly see scars on her belly where some idiot hadnt noticed that their clippers were cutting her (well i hope they hadnt noticed!
mad.gif
). so i really cannot blame her for being petrified. poor lass. i cant help being slightly peeved though!
Sarah

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Have you checked the temperature of the clippers? Maybe her skin is sensitive? I have to twitch my boy to finish him off as he is so ticklish on his belly and sensitive bits and he will try and boot you one. Once clipped you cannot use anything stronger than a body brush and cactus mitt for mud.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Yep, even freshly cold clippers she is petrified of. the guy who clips her is very very good. v patient with her and checks the temperature regularly (she knows him well, so certainly isnt scared of him). if only we could get that far tbh! she is just so worried by the whole thing. she is fine with them running near her stable, but as soon as you get them close to her she flips.
Sarah.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Could you not put the 3mm length guard on the Elements and go over her with them. It is time consuming, but the will do the job with a bit of patience, Just make sure you oil and clean them regularly.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Will they cope with a clip that big? (theres a pic in the gallery if you want to see how big! lol) i was ust worried that i would blunt the blades half way through!