Cripes....claustrophobic horse?

truffles

Visit site
can anyone explain this horses behaviour in the beginning part of the vid? simply don't understand that - the poster says the horse was claustrophobic!?!?!

I have never heard of a claustrophobic horse....anyone have any ideas? I have NO idea what the bald man parts are about....
crazy.gif

ETA: Forgot to add video link in....
blush.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOA8j2u59s - it takes a while to get to the supposedly riding bit.

maddielove

Visit site
a horse at the riding school i was at was claustrophobic apparently. he could stay in a stable, he was in an open stall.
when they put him in a stable[and have kept him there..he's not happy] he would barge and not be very happy..something that was never a problem in the stall.

Jemayni

Visit site
Lol - what an odd little video...

I think a lot of horses are claustrophobic; my horse, who is literally frightened of everthing; can be claustrophic, but its more like when he has a fear of being confined when he is unsafe.

For example he won't load into a strange trailer but will walk straight in ours.

The weirder one is he won't go in an indoor school if it has a surface he has never been on before; because he thinks he will be trapped in this arena and the floor could eat him in at any moment!

truffles

Visit site
Oh yes then I suppose I have seen cases of claustrophobia! That seems very odd though..He is just lying down, running round backwards....
crazy.gif

truffles

Visit site
That is true - that horse must be pretty extreme then, as that horse wasn't even in a very enclosed space! VERY odd.

kirstyfk

Visit site
Too me the horse looks more like it doesn't want to be ridden than claustraophic.It is clear the horse is distressed but he keeps ridintg it.

A lot of horses get claustrophbic when travelling

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
The vid looked rather bad- He was sitting on a horse that wouldn't stop falling down whipping, shouting a slapping his legs on his side- for this reason i hate seeing people who have no clue on horses.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Too me the horse looks more like it doesn't want to be ridden than claustraophic.It is clear the horse is distressed but he keeps ridintg it.

A lot of horses get claustrophbic when travelling

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes neddy certainly doesn't look comfortable being ridden at all.
crazy.gif
really going down quite fast, and then the moment the man is off the horse pops up again.
crazy.gif

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
*shudders* i didnt like that. the horse looked stressed, cant believe he just sat on its back when it went down! dont know much about claustraophobic horses but that horse looked more distressed than claustraophobic as it wasnt in a very small space!

JessPickle

Visit site
But also they show a video further on that the horse is fine canters off and back again. people have diffrent ways of doing things, and it may seem shocking but strictly speaking there is no right or wrong way if they ride like that its there choice but I dont think its fair to critisise without knowing the full story and without the person involved

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But also they show a video further on that the horse is fine canters off and back again. people have diffrent ways of doing things, and it may seem shocking but strictly speaking there is no right or wrong way if they ride like that its there choice but I dont think its fair to critisise without knowing the full story and without the person involved

[/ QUOTE ]

Not critiscising, just saying the horse doesn't look comfortable. people critiscised him and he replied back. I don't know the full story, but you can't say that horse looks comfortable.

frannieuk

Visit site
One of mine used to lie down as a form of napping when she was younger - I used to get off as she went down but only after trying to stay on and getting flung off as she got back up - think it all depends on the situation and the horse tbh.

teapot

Visit site
We had ponies that could never go in the indoor yard - they'd flip and freak until we put them outside in stalls.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Horse in a riding school where i used to 'help' as a kid used to do that..... he had fistulous withers.... only found out about it when it burst and he came in from the field looking like someone had poured custard down his shoulders!!!! Eeewwww

Was ok once it healed though!!

merlinsquest

Visit site
I would imagine excruciating before it burst, especially as we didnt know it was going on.... took ages for it to heal, major problems with proud flesh etc, but was okay in the end.

He went on to have a couple of years in the riding school, then sold to a nice family who let me ride him whenever i liked and then finally i got him on loan when he was quite old. He ended his days retired with a lady who kept her horses as big pets..... when he died we estimated he must have been over 30... not bad for a bad tempered, fairly ugly tb x :)

Oaksflight

Visit site
Looks more like back problems to me. Mine can be a bit chlosterophobic, doesn't really like barns, doesn't like jumping in a small school, and doesn't really like trailers all that much either. Thankfully nothing serious though!

Skhosu

Visit site
Watch the other vidoes..you'll see why it is always lying down! Looks like an idiot riding to me, cannot see the benefite of what he's doing!
Think it's young too, how will a 2yr old have the strength to lift itelf AND him???

GTs

Visit site
Bloody good show I say - look at the progression, and I do not think he was too strong with the horse. I have seen similar things like this before - one of my friends (true cowboy - 18,000 acres - cut bulls balls off with a pocket knife) had a horse who would holds it's breath when he got on and fall over - he would kick it in the head (which sounds worse then it was) and it would get up. Another friend also had a polo pony who first time in the arena backed up in circles doing this - to this day we am not sure what caused it, I had not seen it before that, and until this video I had not seen it since.

Admitadely it is not your pony patters crowd - but from the couple of videos I have seen from this guy I would like to learn more!!!!

Bossanova

Visit site
What an odd video.
I've seen horses sit and lie down as a reaction to the saddle, even years after it's first introduced and current pain has been ruled out. I'd like to know the full story here!

siennamum

Visit site
I think the horse is napping to the extreme. Watching to the end is interesting, and pretty much concurs with my approach to napping horses.

calon

Visit site
you guys arnt looking at the bigger picture here ,a lot of you sound like you arnt very experianced horse people ,just people who ride horses .like gts i wanted to know more and had a look at this guys profile and then his own web site .
this guy is amazing and has a very special way of starting difficult youngsters and of training older difficult horses to tow the line .if you look further you will see that .
this guy is a very experianced horseman working on state of the art racing yards in japan we have nothing like this over here, he is paid loads and much sought after , to sujest that these people who have this millions of pounds yard and young race horses worth god knows how much havent had backs and teeth checked is very nieve ,his method is none violent but naturally sedates the horse makes it easier to manage and teachs it respect for the handler .this guy can start a horse in 45 mins .
yes some are 2yrs old because they are race horses and they race yearlings dont they i dont like horse racing myself because of this but thats a differant matter these horses are bred to do a job and fed up and matured very quickley again i dont like this about horse racing but hey again another matter .
when he says the horse in the vid is clastraphobic he is joking as he also has a great sense of humer and was simply saying maybe the horses behaviour was because it didnt want to be in the barn when in fact it just didnt want to have to work once it realised he wasnt going to give in it did decide to work . take a closer look this guy imo is a super horseman and i have done a few difficult horses which i am sure would have been easier using his method ,gts take a look at his profile and then his web page and his other vids great .

sojeph

Visit site
That was hilarious
grin.gif

To me it just looked like the horse had no idea what it was supposed to do. It looked worried as you would if you didn't know what you were doing, and looked like it was sort of giving up. I've seen a horse run backwards like that the first time its been sat on and its usually because little or no groundwork has been done ie: long reining. It just doesn't understand that its meant to go forwards.
I'm not too sure of Grasshoppers word of wisdom of whoop its ass(even tho it did work) - I'd have got it a lead horse but there you go.
As for claustrophobic? - it didn't look it to me. My cobbie is (I think) claustrophobic in that he gets nervous in confined spaces ie: stables/horseboxes.