critique please

showjump2003

Visit site
I posted these in the pic section but forgot to put in my original post that I wanted your honest opinions on my position and my horse. Unfortuantly I can't/haven't had a jumping lesson in about 3 years (or a flat work lesson) so getting you guys to critique us is the next best thing as I can learn and try to improve.

Don't worry about being too harsh, I want you to be.

woof2.jpg

2222.jpg

I know there not fantastic quality but last night was the first time in ages I managed to comvince my mum to come take some pics.

I know I look down over the jumps! I keep forgetting to pick somethig ahead of me to stare at as we jump lol

Tempi

Visit site
looks good, horse has an amazing jump!! Like you said you need to keep your head on straight. Id also put your stirrups up a hole and try and keep your toes forwards, not sticking out! But thats all i can find wrong, very nice!!
smile.gif

showjump2003

Visit site
I'm hoping to get her jumping a little higher but last night my mum (fmay on here) refused to put them up any higher lol as she doesn't like watching me jump lol. She's had a few months off jumping whilst we have been concentrating on her flat work so she has come back full of enthusiasm which is great! I groomed for Tim Stockdale at a 2 days show last week and came home inspired to jump! lol Hence starting up again lol

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Good for you, why not if you know your horsey can do it!! My Mum is a bit like that too, but actually she is braver then me when she is riding herself.

Look forward to seeing more jumping pictures in the future then! And WOW grooming for Tim, must have been hard work though!

showjump2003

Visit site
lol, I'm not really "in"with the jumping people, I just fell across the opportunity to groom for him lol. Me and my horse aren't going anywhere with our jumping, we don't even affiliate lol.

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
Very nice horse:) She seems to drop her forearms a bit so maybe some gridwork will improve her style...(or maybe she is just young and that will improve when she get to jump more).
As to your position - you seem to be pretty secure but if I was to be too harsh I would definitely try to sort out your head position (as this is the heaviest part of your body so wherever the head goes the horse's balance follows). If it is difficult for you to remember to look up and straight think about landing on certain lead (if you look left your horse will usually land on the left lead and the other way round). Once you think about your head in this way it is easier to remember about it being up and look up.
I agree that your toes should point forwards - their current position could be caused by you gripping with your knees and lower leg.
Contact - quite a loose rein, I would aim to have a contact with your horse's mouth. Not sure about letting your hands travel up the horse's neck - some trainers teach so though. I personally think it takes 'the feel' away. (what bit you are riding in?)
Ok, you wanted harsh opinions;)

BUT - I have to say that considering you had no lessons you look good there!

showjump2003

Visit site
Thank you Saphire_girl, no worries, I don't see that as being harsh, after all it is what I asked for and I'm greatful that you took time to reply!

I have always had a shocking ankle position and I just can't get them to go forwards! lol

My horse is actually 14 so no excuses that she is young lol!

She is ridden in a kimble wick. She isn't keen on rein contact and I know I overgive with my reins! It's not as obvious over bigger fences but over the small fences I feel I throw myself up her neck! I'm not sure why I do it! lol But I'm working on it lol.

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
I am sure you will get there in the end:) As to the mare - there are some brilliant jumpers out there with their legs dangling all over the place (It's Otto!!) and still they are doing great job:)
However, the grid work, and bounces especially work wonders on jumping technique:)

GinaGem

Visit site
Hi ya,

If your trying to stop looking down it always helped me with jumping to pick a point in front of the jump that is eye level and make yourself look at it. If you've got something to concentrate on it tends to help. In our school we have a telegraph pole that i used to look at which is directly in line with where we sometimes put a jump.

xxx