Cross country training

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm currently reschooling my boy (very green and unbalanced) and he's slowly starting to get fitter - we actually carry our head as if we're interested now!

I've started making him trot down slight inclines to build up his confidence (he's had a nasty fall on his shoulder in the past) and that seems to be going well but what else can I do to get him confident in a cross country type environment (apart from jumping everything in sight!) I'm resisting the urge to canter and gallop everywhere now
crazy.gif
and we have a large common out the back that's very hilly so we're doing lots of trotting work out there to build him up.

We're going to have to leave showjumping at the moment as he is so unbalanced but I'm hopiing that with lots of hard work we'll be ready for next year.

Any advice much appreciated!

meandmyself

Visit site
Can you take him for a play in some water?

Apart from that, get him used to going over ditches (start with tiny ones first!), balancing on diffrent types of ground, and going up and down hills.

If he fit enough to jump, try making some corners and other skinnies so they're not a problem. Also, practice taking diffrent lines to fences, so you know he can do that.

Hope I've helped some!
smile.gif