Cross tieing 3yo?

Feival

Visit site
Little Barney goes on the attack, when the vet comes to sort his leg out. So he needs to be sedated however, he rears up and boxes out, swings round and squashes us etc just when we try to sedate. He's 14hh. Would cross tieing help prevent this?

gunnergundog

Visit site
Do you have access to stocks? That would be the method of choice in my book as the quarters are contained so they can't swing. Cross tie / pillar rein as well if necessary in stocks.

Also, as Pearlsasinger suggests, twitching would be another effective option - especially, combined with the lifting of the opposite foreleg.

gunnergundog

Visit site
OK...custom made stocks are the best, but you can create your own with the assistance of a few sheep hurdles in the corner of the stable. Obviously, depending on which leg you need access to, that will determine which corner you use.

Alternatively, I've used an Ifor Williams horse trailer in the past, coupled with cross-tying.

Kikke

Visit site
I am not a fan of cross tying. My sisters youngster was cross tied, panicked broken one of the cross ties, his his head on the wall of the opposite side and broke his jaw. he had to be PTS. Holding a leg up or twitching has my preference.

Feival

Visit site
ACP, Relaquin and Sedalin don't work. Holding a leg up is impossible, we have tried everything. Last week both me and the vet where very lucky not to get hurt, just to get him sedated. Can't even take his bandage off without sedation. �� Before this, he was as good as gold with the vet.

WelshD

Visit site
Would feed distract him enough? I have one of those mollassed licky tub things for distraction purposes when needed