Crossroads

sweet_decline

Visit site
Hi, I've been lurking around here for a month or so but too chicken to say hello...
blush.gif

I share a horse (can't afford my own yet) but I'm wondering if it is time to call it a day with him.

I don't get any weekend time with him, and no opportunity to compete. I am feeling like I'm paying good money just to school him during the week so the owner can compete at weekends. I'm dreading the winter because I won't see him in the light for months. Also the YO is an absolute cow and (unfairly) continually rants at me - she blames me for other people leaving mess on the yard. I am feeling utterly demoralised, and dreading going up there on Monday.

On the plus side he is very uncomplicated and I am very fond of him.

But if I did give him up what would I do? I did have my own horse before leaving home, and since then I've been lent a series of 'projects' - I'm not sure I would be any happier if I went to a riding school.

My brain feels utterly addled - I'm scared of burning my bridges in case I regret it.

I could do with some advice and opinions - has anyone been in a similar situation before?

Peanot

Visit site
Oh dear, what a dilemma. It`s a horrible situation but yes you could be a lot happier. Life is too short to put up with people who continually pull you down and nag you. Horses are to be enjoyed. Like said above, talk to the owner and see her reaction. There are other horses out there if things don`t improve. I hope everything turns out ok for you. Keep your chin up.
Welcome to the forum.

pocket

Visit site
Hi and welcome....I've just made it to enthusiast, so getting there
grin.gif

Its so difficult and I have seen these problems so often. Some owners are just so ungrateful when it comes to loaning their horses, I sometimes wonder why they do it if they aren't going to be more flexible.

With regards to the YO, they are a breed unto themselves and always have to put blame on someone and its usually the first person they come into contact with
crazy.gif

If it was me, I would speak with the horses owner, if you hit a brick wall that's not going to give, then I would consider what Les01 suggests, there are plenty of other horses out there with nice owners that would give their right arm for a bit of help, so keep your chin up and don't give up
wink.gif

sweet_decline

Visit site
Thank you all.

Yes, you are right, I think I do need to bite the bullet and speak up for myself - see if we can work out a compromise, and if not - time to call it a day.

xx