CRUELTY....The LACS way

CARREG

Visit site
"On the LACS sanctuary 107 animals died in the year up to April 2002, many from starvation"....I wonder how long it would take a deer to die of starvation, I'd wager its a fair few WEEKS longer than it takes to hunt one............Carreg

Paul T

Visit site
Classic comment coming from someone who refuses to believe anything bad about hunts unless she witnesses it herself!

Paul T

Visit site
I wonder where this quote came from. It wasn't the pro-hunting Torygraph by any chance?

On a more general point, the deer on LACS sanctuaries are as wild as the birds in my garden - they're not fenced in. Do you think I'm responsible for the deaths of birds that die in my garden from starvation?

peakpark

Visit site
That is so shocking. Why did the discussions have to be 'Chandos House Rules - no minuting and no reporting'? Surely that sort of thing should be exposed. Did the RSPCA have anything to say about it, or were they frightened of upsetting LACS?

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
"Or-A, not allowed to get into that state, or, B, given feed to get them back on their feet. M. "

Good points Mairi, although with animals as widespread as Deer feeding them is not really an option.

AlanE

Visit site
A shocking report from a respected organization, the BDS. What a seedy bunch of hypocritical toss-pots LACS are! How dare they accuse hunts of 'abusing animals'.

Antoninus_Pluck

Visit site
I fully share your anger, AlanE. When the vile anti types say that stag hunting is just animal abuse I reply: "And? They're animals: that's what they're there for - being abused!" Soon shuts them up!

allijudd

Visit site
You may not be responsible for wild animals in your garden, but then your garden is not a Sanctuary. LACS openly call Baronsdown a sanctuary and fund-raise to pay the salaries of employees there..... either Baronsdown is a sanctuary and they are responsible for the animals in their care, or its not a sanctuary, in which case they should not be fundraising.

wurzel

Visit site
No, TB was not rife inside and outside the sanctuary.

The sanctuary is not a prison, animals can come snd go.... the problem is the fact that the morons from LACs like unnaturally high densities of deer. To do this they fed large amounts of hay and concentrates.

In their townie minds they are being kind.

But it is very cruel.

This is where Paul McCartneys money goes.

Animal torture.

Antoninus_Pluck

Visit site
Well said Tom! If the deer can be fed "large amounts of hay and concentrates" and STILL manage to die of starvation that's their own bloody fault!!!

AlanE

Visit site
Oh come off it,Karl, you can't dismiss things like the LACS people do!

They claim to provide a 'sanctuary' where the deer can come and go. They then feed them so they can have some 'bambis' to show the great British public and Paul Macartney when he visits, and extract more money from them. You know it, and the inhabitants of Exmoor know it. They also know this leads to artificially high deer populations being maintained in one area, to the detriment of the deer and adjacent landowners.

But LACS doesn't care, because they are only bothered about taking hunting people to court, and they don't give a toss about animal welfare.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Legally, lacs need to fence in baronsdown and tag the deer, registering them as a proper herd of livestock, OR they stop bleeding feeding them!

Who's breaking the law now?

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
Then they could be subject to proper TB controls.

It is an un-managed but semi domesticated herd of TB infested deer

Death through TB makes a chase and then shooting pale into insignificance. Of course LACS aren't responsible for the welfare of their deer. So it's all fine.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
They're half managed half unmanaged.

LACS have the cosey townie view that feeding wild animals excessive amounts is natural to them, won't make them sick, won't booster numbers, isn't deficiant in their natural dietry needs, won't encourage too many of them into one area, won't cause disease to spread rapidly, won't cause inbreeding, won't affect the genetic structure of the animals and won't cause suffering...

the foxes in my garden got bread crusts and fat - sometimes - if they were lucky and we'd had some sort of meat with removable fat (ie bacon). Nothing more. The only time we gave them something more tempting was when they started dying of mange, it was a ham sandwhich with medicine in it. It went uneaten :(

But until Mange hit, we had some gorgeous foxes who would come up to recieve their bread every night - but were never tame - just tolerant.

Now its the norm to leave them dog food isn't it?

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
There was TB but testing of the deer could not be enforced even though they are feed like livestock because the are classified as wild.

If the government gave a damn about deer they would act5 to ensure there are proper controls. As it is they are talking about lifting the close season which will cause fawns to starve.

If there was a proper law against cruelty to wild mammals then LACS would have fallen foul of it.

Paul T

Visit site
Are you sure the 'severe problems' prompted the State Veterinary Service to take a look, and not petty-minded hunt supporters out to get at LACS for their successful campaigns to highlight hunt cruelty? (You know, in the same way as the failed freepost scam.)

Paul T

Visit site
Sorry, yes I spent a bit too much time having a life with my family than is usually permitted on this forum. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

What exactly would you like me to speak up about? Anyway I thought you'd thrown your teddy out of your pram and weren't debating with me.