Cruising clones!

Escapade

Visit site
I think it's awful. Aside from my concerns about cloning itself (of which there are many), we're not exactly short on the Cruising bloodline. What about genetic diversity? Stallions must die to make room for up and coming sires, that's progression. I really feel that this is a step backwards.

I hope they handle this carefully, it could be very damaging I fear.

popsdosh

Visit site
^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree . Typical greed without thinking about the long term benfits to the horse industry. If it is like other animals that have been cloned so far most carry a defect through which means they are short lived so hope it comes back to bite them hard.

Escapade

Visit site
^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree . Typical greed without thinking about the long term benfits to the horse industry. If it is like other animals that have been cloned so far most carry a defect through which means they are short lived so hope it comes back to bite them hard.

That's an important point. Cloned horses go straight into breeding really and these two are no different, but what is the long-term survivability, soundness etc. of clones and their progeny? Do we even know? The risks far outweigh the benefits for me.

s4sugar

Visit site
I could understand making a clone of a gelding that became an outstanding performer but when a stallion has been used extensively how is a clone going to help?

turnbuckle

Visit site
Oh dear, such negativity.

Agreed, there are practical and ethical worries.....but I'm just pleased my loon will have some more relatives to bump into!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Oh dear, such negativity.

Agreed, there are practical and ethical worries.....but I'm just pleased my loon will have some more relatives to bump into!

Sorry, but hardly a good enough reason to do this, when you look at not only the moral and ethical repurrcussions but the long term survivability, health and soundness of the clones and their offspring.

Mariposa

Visit site

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I think one of the main issues with cloning is that when the new foal is born, it is born with the 'old' DNA, DNA that has been ageing for years. This is apparently what causes the early deaths. I would imagine that that would have huge consequences for any progeny.

Mariposa

Visit site
Apparently some of the ponies Cambiaso has cloned, as well as looking the same obviously, have the same personality quirks and are scared of the same random things, which I find really freaky!

stormox

Visit site
Cruising iswnt the first show jumper to be cloned though, wasn't Romulus 16 cloned?And Im sure theyr others.... wonder what they pu on the passports...

popsdosh

Visit site
Cruising iswnt the first show jumper to be cloned though, wasn't Romulus 16 cloned?And Im sure theyr others.... wonder what they pu on the passports...

They have to have clone as part of the name on the passport .as in these two after there name it has clone in brackets I also believe the orignal horses name has to be the prefix as well. The original parents are listed in the pedigree as if it was that mating again.

Last edited: