Crumbling frogs

Rupert2006

Visit site
I have recently noticed that my ned's feet, namely the frogs, are crumbling away when I pick out his feet - they smell a bit as well. He got a stone stuck into his frog and it has left a hole, although he isn't lame. This has come on over the last few days as far as I am aware. What is it? Someone at the yard said that it was thrush and I need to get some purple spray and spray his feet to kill the fungus.

Does anybody know what I need to buy?

many thanks!

sally2008

Visit site
I find venetian turpentine very good for thrush as it contains a natural anti-bacterial agent and helps to "waterproof" the affected area. Failing that iodine solution is very effective too.

smokeybabes

Visit site
Sudacream was recommended to me for thrush by a EP.
It worked really well and my horses frogs had got quite bad.
If you really pack any grooves/holes in the frog with sudacream it can stop the mud getting in there which is what encourages thrush.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo gets slightly smelly and crumbly frogs but it is not actual thrush. Pick out feet daily and give them a squirt of stockholm tar (or you can brush it on) couple of times a week. Soon clears up the problem. I give a squirt of tar twice a week as maintenance all year round.

It if is thrush - very stinky, black goo etc then you will need to apply something like peroxide and/or foot rot spray and keep feet picked out once if not twice a day until it is cleared up. Avoid standing in dirty bedding. Hibi scrub is good for an initial cleaning, rinse and then apply peroxide and leave foot to dry. If not too bad, purple spray or foot rot applied daily will clear it up.

smokeybabes

Visit site
See i was told Stockholm tar by a vet and used it for a bit but an EP told me that whilst stockholm tar did kill off the thrush it wasn't particularly good for the health of the frog, so whilst the thrush went the frogs wouldn't really recover. That is wht they recommended the sudocream as it it's not as agressive and actually has healing properties too therefore encouraging healthy growth of frog.
Maybe it depends on how bad the thrush has "eaten away" the frog as my horses frogs had got quite bad?

jcberry

Visit site
hia this pony on r our yard used to have crumbling frogs and she used this hoof stuff called Effol, its mainly a hoof oil but it works on the frogs too. Suda cream is great too.
cool.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I agree with Asti salt water works well, if frogs/sole are scrubed regularly. However my farrier (who is the least alternative person I know!!) recommended painting frogs & heals with Eucalyptus Oil and Iodine mixed 25/75. Used both methods on my mare to good effect.
cool.gif

Caritas

Visit site
Try to keep the area dry and use some hibi scrub on it daily and rub with a hard brush to get rid of affected area,good luck

Theresa_F

Visit site
Interesting - my farrier advised stockholm tar and the old boys with heavy horses swear by it.

Personally I find it excellent and have not had any problems using it.

Tea tree oil is also good for frogs to keep them fresh.