Cruppers and dressage

flyingfeet

Visit site
So if I'm reading this correctly the BD rules say the following:
"Breastplates and breast girths are permitted. Cruppers are permitted but are not allowed
for tests run under FEI Rules"

However I've never seen anyone with a crupper, do you think I'll get marked down / called up on it?

kc100

Visit site
I've never seen anyone use one either, however if the rules say they are allowed for BD tests then you cannot get marked down for using one, and if you do you can challenge it with the judge/organisers.

So presuming you are doing BD and not an FEI test then you should be absolutely fine - the judge might have to have a quick look in their rule book when they see you come in but aside from that I cant see any problems! If you want to be extra cautious then you could speak to the organiser/steward on the day and explain you are using a crupper, say you checked the rule book and it is allowed but you wanted to make the judge aware before you go in. That way they have time to check their rule book before you come in and you wont be trotting around the arena for decades while the judge finds the exact line in their book!

TarrSteps

Visit site
If it works and your horse goes well in it, I can't see a problem.

Oddly, I had this conversation the other day, after not discussing cruppers for decades! You hardly see them now, with changes in saddle fit, pads etc. Do you not find it interferes with the horse's ability to work softly over its back?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Saddle fit not bad - however should he choose to go into bronc mode, I did not enjoy the experience of my horse disappearing underneath me and both me and saddle being on his neck (don't know how, but pretty sure he practices horsey yoga!)

It's only until I can trust him in public, never does it without a crowd...

I would worry about him working softly over his back, but currently at the stage where I'm just hoping not to be eliminated, he is a stallion so better off a BD than unaff. Plus all Iberian saddles use a crupper, so pretty sure it wouldn't interfere if fitted correctly.