Crusty armpits..... Pictures :)

merlinsquest

Visit site
For anyone with any ideas...... his right armpit and its contents
smile.gif

The wrinkles are a bit swollen today, maybe the flies have had a feast
frown.gif

What do you think about putting some MSM ointment on them??

DSC02495.jpg

And closer up...

DSC02495-1.jpg

Thanks for any comments
smile.gif

Shipley

Visit site
my horse gets these (looks the same) from sweat, i have to wash them after riding every time even in winter

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
It looks like just rubbed areas from sweating etc when tis hot like at the moment, or after heavy exercise!

Bein a black horse, he is more liekly to heat up easier than other horses, so maybe when brining him in from teh field etc at this time of year, lots of bathing and washing sweat off etc!

Some of the riding schools horses get this if not washed off at this time of year!

merlinsquest

Visit site
I have been washing off with very weak hibiscrub this week, but obviously they will take a while to clear up
smile.gif

He gets them every year.... I was worried about them being sarcoids
frown.gif

pottamus

Visit site
You want to get some Equine America's Fungatrol on that...brilliant stuff for anything scabby, crusty, mud fever, saddle sores etc.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Ye well keep on washing regularly, will eventually give over!

Maybe something like sudacrem on it would help? as if it is just from moist from sweat and then rubbing coz of position its like horse nappy rash! :) plus sudacrem is fab!!!

If its seasonal as well, it indicates something to do with weather and what happens at this time of year (mainly sweating!!!)

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Same applies as always. Please peeps, before you start putting ANYTHING on your horse's sore or broken skin ask yourself this: If I had a sore area with some odd looking lumps, some oozing and crusty, would I not bother with the doctor and start applying sometimes quite potent chemicals to myself. If you'd happily slap the product in question on your own skin, you would probably do no harm to your horse. But honestly, if a similar condition was affecting you and would send you anxiously round to your GP, then get the vet for your horse. If the lumps turn out to be something more sinister, you need to NOT exacerbate what may be a pre cancerous condition. Vet, vet, vet.

Theresa_F

Visit site
One of my TBs and old Cairo clydesdale used to get this - I think it was a combination of sweating and rubbing. I can't remember them being swollen though and never hot or infected looking.

I used to rinse with water after riding and apply some sudocream mixed with sulphur and tea tree which did the trick.

With Cairo in winter, I used to put a bit of pig oil and sulphur there which seemed to stop it coming up.

If it looks infected, then you will need something like fucidin which is an anti-b cream which is good stuff but needs to be got from the vet.

siant2

Visit site
I have a horse that has this - i spoke to the vet about it and he looked at them cos i was also worried that it might be a form of sarcoid (especially as she has a couple of small warts on her nose) - he said it was dermatitis caused by sweating - I have been putting sudocream on it every few days and it looks better.

also you could try a fly rug - as last year my horse had a nasty bite to area of dry flaky skin and it took ages to heal, this year ive bought a fly rug which covers the area so that helps also!

i would recommend asking your vet to have a look when he next comes to make sure it is properley diagnosed.

joeanne

Visit site
Wash, plain and simple, as often as possible with something like hibiscrub.
I would probably shy away from using any cream unless prescribed by the vet as it clogs up the skin, no good if a potential infection is brewing up in there!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
My boy had this, or something that looked like it, at the start of the spring! It was horrid!

I squeezed it (like you might squeeze a spot
crazy.gif
) into tissues and rinsed with hibiscrub. I also sprayed it with purple spray every day and that seemed to help dry it up along with the hibiscrub, though I did have to keep squeezing the gunk out for a few days.

I clipped him around the area with trimmers to it cut right down to the skin almost, so I could see what was going on. It really only cleared up properly once he'd lost all of his winter coat though - might be worth clipping the whole area so you can clean properly.

No idea what my boy's was but it was pretty horrible
wink.gif

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
My filly has recently been diagnosed (Derek Knottenbelt) with sarcoids and has a similar crusty area in her armpit as well as lumps on her udder. Don't want to scare you but as Boxof frogs says it may be something more sinister so please get a vet to have a look if you can.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Vet has seen it previously.... but on a very unofficial basis ie.. not saying Oh yes its this or that, because then the insurance would cane me for it being a pre existing condition.

He just said.... if it doesnt change dont worry
smile.gif
It has been the same for the 5 years I have had him now so hopefully wont get worse
smile.gif

It is responding to the hibiscrub treatment and is now flakey rather than crusty
smile.gif
I just have to remember to wash it all the time
smile.gif

There is no way its bad enough to warrent being burned off by the liverpool creams etc... I have seen that first hand and it aint pretty
frown.gif

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Sounds like you have a regime that works so keep up the good work. Certainly not worth going down insurance route if it hasn't changed in all that time.

yethersgill

Visit site
Looks very similar to what my mare has (and in same place!). Vet gave me Malaseb to wash it with as a scrape showed a fungal infection.
Good luck and hope it clears up soon.